ConfigTool connecting to different servers

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
joben

ConfigTool connecting to different servers

Post by joben »

Lets say we have a bunch of servers running the same version of AwareIM:
Alpha 192.168.1.100
Bravo 192.168.1.101
Charlie 192.168.1.102

We have ConfigTool locally installed on our computers, currently setup to connect to Alpha.
If we want to connect to Bravo or Charlie, how do we do this without changing some config file or reinstalling the ConfigTool?
Directly connecting to the server and running the ConfigTool is a workaround that will not be useful once we have more developers.

The ideal solution would be to have a server picker when starting ConfigTool. Or the ability to install multiple instances of ConfigTool and have shortcuts for each server. Curious to know if anyone has tackled this problem.
Regards, Joakim

BLOMASKY

Re: ConfigTool connecting to different servers

Post by BLOMASKY »

I might be doing things a tad different from what you are trying to accomplish.

But, I have 4 remote servers (for 4 different customers) that I have to access. I am using the "client server" configuration on each server and have separate folders for each customer with a different UICONFIG.props in each folder. Then I have different batch files (ok shell scripts since I am on a mac) that CD to the appropriate folder and run the config tool.

cd ~/AwareAWS/ConfigTool/Contents/MacOS
./ConfigTool

Bruce
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

Another alternative is to not allow developers to have direct access to servers and instead run two environments, dev and prod.

Use Prod as remote client accessible servers and then have your dev server inside your network with developers having ConfigTool pointing to it.

Reduces the risk of an accidental publish by keeping them both isolated from each other.

I then keep the published version numbers on the server in sync with the development server (which can require the creation of multiple minor versions on the prod server where I've not published every minor version upgrade. This FR would make it a bit easier
joben

Post by joben »

Thanks for the advice guys!

We just got some good news from Vlad:
By the way, in the new version that will be released in late January, the Config. Tool will be able to connect to any remote server via the Internet.
Regards, Joakim

BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

joben wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:06 am Thanks for the advice guys!

We just got some good news from Vlad:
By the way, in the new version that will be released in late January, the Config. Tool will be able to connect to any remote server via the Internet.
I thought it can do that now? It does need a change in the BASSERVER.props table on the server, but once done its now available over the internet. Perhaps the config for this process will be easier in the new version.

Bruce
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I thought it can do that now? It does need a change in the BASSERVER.props table on the server, but once done its now available over the internet. Perhaps the config for this process will be easier in the new version.
You can only do it now if there is no firewall between the client and the server as current connection requires quite a few non-standard ports. This is extremely unlikely to work across the Internet as most servers block ports other than the standard HTTP and HTTPS ports.

In the new version the Configuration Tool will talk to the server via these standard HTTP(S) ports only, so it is guaranteed to work across the Internet.
Aware IM Support Team
BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

ah ha! That is a better way of course.

Well done Vlad!