Switch between languages

On this forum you can see a list of new features requested by users and you can also cast your own vote (you need to login to vote).

What do you think of this feature?

Showstopper - cannot start using Aware IM without it.
5%
Critical - need to have it within 3 months.
18%
Very important - need to have it within 6 months.
9%
Important - need to have it within 12 months.
5%
Would be nice to have it in the future.
23%
Do not need it.
41%

Total votes: 22

aware_admin
Site Admin

Switch between languages

Post by aware_admin »

Ability to configure applications that can switch between different languages at run time - for example, an application that can run both in English and French with the ability to switch between these languages.
Last edited by aware_admin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
jclark58

Re: Switch between languages

Post by jclark58 »

[quote="aware_admin"]Ability to configure applications that can switch between different languages at run time - for example, an application that can run both in English and French with the ability to switch between these languages.[/quote]

I dont really see why anyody would need to swap language in mid session. Language settings should however be settable on a per user basis not on a per installation to allow an application to be used in multiple countries
pixerp

Post by pixerp »

Basically I agree with jclark58's post.

But when a business user deals with customers in different languages, it is a REAL PLUS to be able to switch the application's language in use.

For ex., I speak with my customers in their own language, either in german, french or english. And I can tell you, it would be much easier if I could switch Windows from one language to the other on-the-fly !

I don't think MS is going to come up with that feature any soon, but I've already done it and would love AwareIM to enable that feature ... when most other features have come true.
eyeargan

Switching Languages - Field Labels and Drop Down Lists, etc.

Post by eyeargan »

Hello,

I live in a bilingual country, so I need to make my site available in at least French and English. This raises the issue of not only translating field labels, but also all of the objects that serve as data sources for my drop down combo boxes.

Do you have any idea how to attack this problem or how it is handled generally?

Thanks,
Erik
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The information is provided here http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1420
Aware IM Support Team
Elmar

Localizing

Post by Elmar »

I also have the demand to localize the application. Having two applications and keeping them in sync is impossible.

Is there a way to get AwareIM´s and Attribute labels and swap them at runtime? So that at least the UI interface itself is localizable?

Regards,
Elmar
eyeargan

Multiple BSV on 1 mySQL database

Post by eyeargan »

I have heard that is possible to run multiple business spaces from the same mySQL database.

This seems like a great way to operate a dual language system.
I have already made all my combo box entries bilingual, so that the same data can serve both languages.

Please tell me where I can get instructions for attaching my database to the second business space.

Thanks
eyeargan

Multiple BSV on 1 mySQL database

Post by eyeargan »

I have heard that is possible to run multiple business spaces from the same mySQL database.

This seems like a great way to operate a dual language system.
I have already made all my combo box entries bilingual, so that the same data can serve both languages.

Please tell me where I can get instructions for attaching my database to the second business space.

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I am not sure I understand the question. Internally all business spaces for one Aware IM installation are located in one database, so when you are asking how to attach the second business space to the same database what do you actually mean?
Aware IM Support Team
eyeargan

Post by eyeargan »

In the case of a bilingual site, only the "skin" should change.
The underlying database of member information should be the same.

If I create separate business spaces for each language "skin", how do make them all query on the same data.

If you have another solution for multi-lingual sites, please let me know.

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

No, you cannot have two business spaces use the same data. I can't think of the way to make a bilingual system at the moment. This is what the proposed feature is all about.
Aware IM Support Team
PEFS

Post by PEFS »

I used to use a product called Polar Studio (http://www.bluepolar.com/home.html) that had a wonderful Internationalization feature. I never had issues making my apps multi-lingual. I could export all labels and send them to a Company to change them into a different language and then import the list back into the app. When logged into the application my users could select the languge that they desired from a drop-down and the entire site would be converted to the other language.

I could have up to 10 different languages. If you require multi-lingual capabilities Polar Studio is great. Hopefully the same ease of use can be added to Aware IM.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Switching between languages as well as dynamic choice of locale is now fully supported in Aware IM version 4.5
Aware IM Support Team
rocketman

Internationalisation and Time Zones

Post by rocketman »

Would it be possible to include in a future release, the ability for a local user to set a time zone offset which would impact on CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

In this age of globaliation, I am UK based and for financial reasons (it's cheap) my VPS is in Germany and the locale of the vps is GMT+2.

This is not a major problem for me - but for developers who might be hosting for customers in different countries (especially now that internationalization is implemented) I think this feature is no longer just desireable but essential.