anyone else have trouble with Logging windows?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

anyone else have trouble with Logging windows?

Post by Jaymer »

there's 2 issues
1) sometimes, the logging window will stay blank after refreshing. F5 doesn't do anything. Its dead. Restart aware to fix
2) turning on logging for Production will do nothing - the "Production Log" option will stay grayed out. (reported this on Jan 23)

I know there is an issue of Aware NOT creating the main.log file correctly.
like, it tries to open it, but if its not there, it won't create it. And logging won't work. It should at least be able to create a new log file if its not found.

And we still need a way to copy text thats in the logging file. (reported Dec 23 2019)
"Sure would be nice to be able to right-click a line and copy to clipboard
(Actually, select any # of recs to copy)"
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
ALW

Re: anyone else have trouble with Logging windows?

Post by ALW »

Jaymer - I have this same issue with the production log being grayed out - did you ever figure out the issue?
tford

Post by tford »

Following. I've had issues as well.

I thought it was just me not understanding how the logs work well since all of my development before the last few months was in version 6.X and the logs were a bit different then.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

ALW wrote:Jaymer - I have this same issue with the production log being grayed out - did you ever figure out the issue?
depends on your exact 8.4 build

There was a time when even though you had Production Log enabled, you could NOT open a log because it was gray.
That went away in a later build from what I remember.

But, currently, there's also an issue in that Aware 8.4 doesn't want to CREATE a log file from scratch. Like, if you upgrade Aware and rename your existing \AwareIM dir, and then install into a fresh dir. At this point you usually update your props, startup.html and whatever else. I don't think that Aware will have a "main.log" file yet. So if you don't copy your old one back into the new dir, Production Log will NEVER work. Again, this is what I remember - things may have improved build over build.

And, if the Log View isn't working INSIDE Aware, just find an editor to browse \AwareIM\bin\main.log
to view the log. Something like Notepad++ will prompt you to reload as it changes. Notepad will only grab it at that second and you won't see any 'real-time' changes.

Also, on a server now in 8.4 - problem is that the Prod Log works right after Aware restart, but ONLY until you clear the log. Its still enabled, but will stay empty and never update. Which is a drag, because you DO NOT want to keep your logs running if you don't need them (potential Java message Q overflow issues), but if a Customer issue arises, I also cannot turn Production Log on and see whats happening. This has not always been the case.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Enabling of the production and testing log depends on whether logging is enabled in Settings/Logging and also whether the file exists. Sometimes (or always?) for the log file to be created the Control Panel needs to be restarted after logging has been turned on.

So make sure you set logging on and restart the Control Panel.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

Support,
but if a Customer issue arises, I also cannot turn Production Log on and see whats happening. This has not always been the case.
Has the production log mechanism changes since V6.x? Like Jaymer mentioned, I believe I used to be able to easily go into the Control Panel to turn logging on without restarting the Control Panel and interrupting users.

Issue #2 - When I select View |

The only way I've been able to get it to display Production Log info is to open a Control Panel tab view System Console, then when I click over to the Production Log tab, the system prompts "Log file has been modified. Do you want to load changed?"

Historically weren't we able to view live activity in the Production Log in a more interactive way?
tford

Post by tford »

Is there another way to show the latest Production Log info in the viewer other than clicking back and forth between Control Panel tabs and responding to a prompt?
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

aware_support wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:12 am Enabling of the production and testing log depends on whether logging is enabled in Settings/Logging and also whether the file exists. Sometimes (or always?) for the log file to be created the Control Panel needs to be restarted after logging has been turned on.

So make sure you set logging on and restart the Control Panel.
This is not an option when the Production site has an issue, and you can't get logging to work.
Kicking users out in the middle of the day because the Logging file wasn't created properly isn't an option.
Keeping logging ON all the time slows down the system, and on one of my servers will crash aware during heavy load... so I have to keep it off.
So when I need Logging, I can't have access to it. Its a NOT(Win-Win)

Jaymer