Can we have a discussion about doing Dashboards? best way?

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Jaymer

Can we have a discussion about doing Dashboards? best way?

Post by Jaymer »

Just wondering what methods people have settled on for making dashboards.
I've got a dozen to-do items.
I could generate a lot of this in Stored Procedures on the back end SQL, I guess.
Whats the best way to make a VP to show these?
Do you allow clicking on a bar/widget on a Dashboard to drill down into a customer for more info?

Is your opinion that its easy to get this done in Aware?
Are other tools more suited for this (obviously, this is a nice UI and direction that users/mgmt. want & expect now in their app).

I wonder if a possible Feature Request (from the group) for a new ability in Aware would be for the easier creation of Intelligent Dashboards?
If this truly is a feature that almost every system could benefit from, then certainly it would make Aware a more valuable programming tool.

Can anyone post examples of how they have done Dashboards plz?
dashboards.png
dashboards.png (23.54 KiB) Viewed 9412 times
Last edited by Jaymer on Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
Jaymer

Re: Can we have a discussion about doing Dashboards? best w

Post by Jaymer »

bump
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
ddumas

Post by ddumas »

I am a SQL god (data modeling, SQL, ETL, data warehouse, stored proc development, etc), and certified QlikView expert :) I used to work as an enterprise solutions consultant for Qlik. Here is how we did it:

From left to right, the leftmost "Sheets(s)" had top level KPs, showing the "health at a glance", across business processes (Sales, Marketing, etc.) You might put high level metrics in large font text boxes, and maybe have a few charts for one or more on those Sheet(s). Leftmost sheets are extremely simple to read. You could have a single sheet for each business process, or have KPIs from multiple business processes on the same sheet.

Then as you move to the right, you start to build sheets with summary charts, showing more granular, but NOT detail level information.

Then, the rightmost sheets were generally pivot tables, and regular tables with detail level information. That's for the finance folks that want to download to excel.

I don't know if this helps, but has been successful for me.

Dave
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Dave (aka sql god), thats good you have a grasp of "Dashboard" modeling, but I'm wondering about how people have actually done ANY kind of dashboard in Aware.

Was hoping some ppl would add to this with screenshots of their dashboards.

Jaymer
ddumas

Post by ddumas »

Ah, yes, I was thinking generically. I did not know you could even build dashboards in AwareIM.
Dave
BobK

Post by BobK »

ddumas wrote:Ah, yes, I was thinking generically. I did not know you could even build dashboards in AwareIM.
Dave
Dave,

For a glimpse of what is possible for a dashboard, check out the RanFab sample at
https://www.awareim.com/sample-applications/

unfortunately (from another post about RanFab)
This is not a sample application, it is a proprietary commercial application (the version you are seeing has rubbish data, though). So sample BSV is not available.
Sorry Jaymer, that does not help you much.
Bob
customaware

Post by customaware »

My dream is to build a library of Dashboard Components such as charts, widegets or whatever and allow the user drag and drop them on the Dashboard AND move them around and resize anyway they wish.

Jake experimented with this after the last Conference and basically got it working and it was awesome but I understand he ran into a hitch and did not persue it futher.

In the absence of that functionality and given the current limitations of Aware out of the box, here is what I do....

I build a variety of Processes that display different content... charts for example.
Then I have 3 rows of 3 columns on the Dashboard.
The user can then select Any Content from the Library to be displayed in any of the 9 cells on the Dashboard VP.

Not Drag & Drop. Not resizable. A bit fiddly..... but works until the dream is relaised.
Panel Selector
Panel Selector
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 10.03.53 pm.png (120.89 KiB) Viewed 9295 times
Dashboard - Cells B, D and F
Dashboard - Cells B, D and F
Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.57.04 pm.png (144.2 KiB) Viewed 9297 times
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

thx for replies.

what Mark has done is end-user config because its a SAAS app that [hopefully] many diff. companies will use.
So he has built in configurability that half of us don't need.
I assume half of us might be interested in hitting the big time with re-sellable projects, and the other half are just knocking out apps that don't need that level of end-user customization.

About RanFab - the TOP section is the only one that interests me - all the other panels are just std. grids or forms.

There's just so many ways to start tackling something like this - it makes my head spin. After all, I wasn't even able to get a simple top-10 chart done, much less a nice dashboard. One thing I think of when seeing Mark's top graph is "can I click on a bar" to drill down or bring up another Aware chart". A simple chart is one thing, but drill down is also needed.
Then there's also just simple gauges etc. that just report data. RanFab does this in the top section, but how about clicking on one to do something? That might have been A TON more work - who knows? (well, they know (codrin, jake) but aren't saying.) . Whats making those refresh? Is JS involved?

Anyone starting this has to reinvent the wheel.

Jaymer
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

So, no one else has any feedback or examples of dashboards done in Aware?
No customers need this?
I would have thought in today’s world of BI people would be requesting this.

If there’s no interest in this, then how can we expect support to add features in this area?
Everyone will be recreating the wheel from scratch with no examples.
I need this now.

Jaymer
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

After all, I wasn't even able to get a simple top-10 chart done, much less a nice dashboard. One thing I think of when seeing Mark's top graph is "can I click on a bar" to drill down or bring up another Aware chart". A simple chart is one thing, but drill down is also needed.
This is easily done by creating an Object and relevant attributes for each particular Chart in your dashboard. In some cases you may be able to use an existing object to present data in a passive chart, but having a dynamic drill down chart will almost always require a specific object to be in place to make it happen

if you set up a Perspective and have the panels laid out in a Dashboard fashion, and then have each panel populated by a Custom Grid, Chart , HTML etc etc. then I can’t see a problem

Most of my dashboard presentations are driven by “Chart Specific Objects. When the update Chart process runs it finds the related records and then proceeds to create new chart objects for each record found. The resultant chart or custom grid is pointing to the newly created Chart Objects

Jaymer, your example on the referenced post, you need to add another Object to your app called Top20ROClients and then when running the sample query from within AwareIM , start a process and CREATE Top20ROClients FOR EACH object found and then reference these objects in your chart.(You can also get creative in your Chart Object attributes, to allow the object to serve multiple chart setups and presentations)

Your Example
FIND RO WHERE RO.DateCreated BETWEEN '1/1/2019' and '3/31/2019'
add CREATE Top20ROClients FOR EACH RO WITH …etc etc

When setting up the CHART take care to setup the edit option and this will let you drill down to the data represented in each bar, presented in a new tab or pop up of some sort

Also by right clicking on the perspective, there is an option for a user to disable Dashboard Panels. AwareIM attempts to provide users with some dashboard layout functionality here but is very limited and should be upgraded to allowing for drag and drop of widgets and maybe including some predefined Charts from a drop down menu