Best method for quick data entry when packing inventory

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
rbross

Best method for quick data entry when packing inventory

Post by rbross »

Hello
Please see screenshot of current system(not AwareIM)
Packing.JPG
Packing.JPG (168.01 KiB) Viewed 8603 times
In this form, the user can locate the package# to pack, enter a description for the package, enter the inventory number or Zoom out to locate it, then enter the qty to pack. When the user clicks the Add button the item is added to the table below. Then the view is refreshed and they can repeat the process until all items for the selected package have been added.
This screen was created using temp fields and then the actual record is created when the Add button is clicked.
Is there a simple way to duplicate this in AwareIM? I'm thinking I will need to create a VP for this view.
A list of the available packages could be a query on the left side, with the option to show all packages. an Enter New form on the right side and then a query view showing the package detail for the currently selected package. If the selected package changes then the view is refreshed, if the Add button is clicked then the view refreshes. They can also click on the bottom query and Edit those records if needed. Sound about right?

Also is there as a way to set the font size for a query and form without affecting the entire application. To get all this to fit on the users' screen I may need to go down to a size 10 or 8 font.
Roger Ross
AwareIM 8.7 (build 3025) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
AwareIM 8.5 (build 2828) ~ MS-SQL ~ Windows 10 ~
PointsWell

Re: Best method for quick data entry when packing inventory

Post by PointsWell »

It's a bit difficult to advise from a screen grab without a use case.

What about creating a non persisting BO with any temporary fields that you want and as the final process (i.e. when you press the button) run a CREATE BO with the attributes taken from the non persisted BO.

The only risk that you may run into there is the decrementing stock levels so you'd have to be really careful in understanding when stock comes out of inventory and is then in a shipped state.
rbross

Post by rbross »

I thought about a temp BO. I do have something in place now so all the rules to update inventory are already in place.
The users were just looking for a similar solution to what they have now which is a client-server application currently so creating the same functionality for a web app would be a bit different.
I could use the Package Detail BO for the data entry section but there is one field that is part of the Package Hdr the Pkg Description Field this would need to stay filled out until they were done adding all the items they want to pack.
Using the Responsive Nested Grid I could set up a VP so the Package HDr Description was one line on the right side of the form and the Package Detail fields were below it that way it all looks like the same form but I doubt you could tab from one panel to another???

Right now I have it working where it calls a process ENTERNEW_PackageDetail_Loop and then I use some JS to loop back the same process so they can enter another record if they want to. It opens the Form in a Modal state and the query in the background showing the package detail refreshed each time they add a new item so they can see what they have added.

The example JS looks like this: EXEC_SCRIPT `AwareApp.startProcess('ENTERNEW_PackageDetail_Loop',null,[{ objectName:'PackageHdr', objectId:`+ PackageHdr.ID+`}])`

I use this technique in a few places and it works really well.
Roger Ross
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

With data entry speed being a priority, have you considered inline data entry?
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
rbross

Post by rbross »

johntalbott wrote:With data entry speed being a priority, have you considered inline data entry?
Yes, but Inline data Entry is still a bit clunky in v7. I could take a look at it again for this purpose though. Any tip on using it for a smoother user experience?
Roger Ross