Helping to Promote Aware IM...

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote:My take on this is somewhat different:
Thank you ACDC for your point of view. I hope we get more responses to see what directions we should implement and also provide feedback to Awresoft for their part.
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

I agree with ACDC.
Let me give you another perspective.
Have been a magic developer for 20 yrs, and a BBQ Restaurateur for 9 years.

I don't feel comfortable placing a list of "Thank you letters" or customer testimonials on my website, because I'm basically telling any competitors who some of my big customers are. That lets someone pickup the phone, call them and TRY to move in on my business (i mean, regardless of how they love me, money talks and who would turn down free food samples if someone tried to market to my custs.) I view every other BBQ/Caterer in this city as competition to myself - taking $ out of my pocket.

That can be said of programmers bidding on projects, but we are a lot more spread out geographically and there's plenty to go around and we devs. on a tool like Aware still want to collaborate and help each other - but I don't want to advertise I have this "secret weapon" and oh, btw, go download a free version and you yourself can compete against me.

And the other side, like ADCD says, is in-house people who want the tool to have more cred so they can use it to do their projects easier. Wider adoption of Aware lowers the FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) factor that others in an organization would propose for their own agenda (like THEIR favorite tool).

Jaymer...
tford

Post by tford »

Hopping back into the discussion again.

My view is that developers bring a number of assets to the table:

A- tools in their toolbox

B- knowledge of how to use the tools in the toolbox

C- ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders to identify and solve challenges

D- creativity in how to solve business challenges using A, B, and C.

Becoming an AwareIM user will not automatically mean that the developer will be able to compete with you. If your technical tools & knowledge of those tools are your only competitive advantage, you've got an up hill battle in the marketplace.

In my mind, having AwareIM in my toolbox allows me to focus my time and efforts on B, C, and D where I feel confident I can complete effectively with anyone.

Bottom line is that I will do everything I can to help spread the word & maximize the exposure of AwareIM in the marketplace.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

Thanks Tom, you said it much better than I could...

Just for the record, I was one of the first Magic developers in US, in 1986, when the first version of Magic (ver 2.36) was brought to US by Aker, Inc. It was a 3 man man operation in a small office in Irvine, CA.

I watched it as it grew to Version 5, when the founding company in Israel went public and became Magic Enterprise (it's original public name).
Magic was very powerful for back then. It was "Aware" of the 80's and early 90's compared to all other tools, I could finish a project 10 times faster than anyone else with any other tool... So, a powerful product like Magic, what happened to it? (yes, it's alive, barely).

The problem was, most Magicians thought and felt the same way, kept it to their chest and wouldn't share with others, where as Clipper, dBase, FoxPro, Dataflex, Clarion and etc. were getting bigger and bigger everyday. Why? Word of mouth, the most powerful advertising. Of course Magic corporation screwed many developers based on greed, but that's another story. But the bottom line was, Magic developers (firstly hated the name Magic) would not talk about their toolset.

Although, Aware is exceptionally powerful and well designed, but at the end of the day, it comes to the talent and creativity of the developers that stands out, regardless what tool he used. "THAT" is the asset of a developer... not the toolset.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Once again, thank you all for your thoughts. We understand those who do not want to promote Aware IM, but those who do should feel free to do so and we will do everything we can to help them!

We already have a Photoshop file (PSD) with new Aware IM logos, so if anyone is interested write to [email protected] and we will email it to you.

Not sure what page Pete wants us to create - can you please elaborate on what you want to see on that page?
Aware IM Support Team
RafaMD

Post by RafaMD »

Support, send me the logos! I also think we have to promote, support and enhance AwareIM because it benefits us all.

I totally agree with Tom, but it is also true that good tools are important, so if AwareSoft gives us good tools we can focus our efforts on points B, C, D, ... and promote AwareIM. :wink:
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

What's your email address?
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi Vlad, what I had in mind was just a simple promotional AwareIM page that you would create that would provide an overview and the benefits of AwareIM. Any images in the page should reside on your server so that there are no images to deal with for the developers. Any links on the page would obviously point back to the AwareIM site. I would think that a simple 'Click here for more info' link/button pointing to your home page would suffice.

For any developers that are so inclined, they would just dump the html file on their site and create at least one link from one of their pages to this page and you would end up with a bunch of inbound links which will help your search engine visibility and native click-ins. You might also think about creating an AwareIM facebook page that all developers could 'like'.

With respect to whether a developer should or shouldn't reveal their support/use of AwareIM would obviously depend on their specific situation and to have endless discussions on whether or not they should seems a little pointless to me.

In my case, I would not promote AwareIM from my clients sites, because the link between deployed commercial solutions and AwareIM would not be perceived as a benefit but I would be happy to put this page or any other ideas that you have on my own websites as I am happy for anybody to know that it is my tool of choice and that AwareIM is the best solution out there.

Cheers,
Pete
Pete Bradstreet
Contract developer of commercialized applications

AwareIM Ver. 8.2
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

pbrad wrote:
In my case, I would not promote AwareIM from my clients sites, because the link between deployed commercial solutions and AwareIM would not be perceived as a benefit but I would be happy to put this page or any other ideas that you have on my own websites as I am happy for anybody to know that it is my tool of choice and that AwareIM is the best solution out there.

Cheers,
Pete
I agree with above point 100% and thanks for clarify that.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

pbrad wrote:what I had in mind was just a simple promotional AwareIM page that you would create that would provide an overview and the benefits of AwareIM. Any images in the page should reside on your server so that there are no images to deal with for the developers. Any links on the page would obviously point back to the AwareIM site. I would think that a simple 'Click here for more info' link/button pointing to your home page would suffice.
Hi Pete,

but what about our web site or one of its pages (Overview, for example) - it lists all the benefits I think (especially the new web site being designed). Why not provide a link to this page?
Aware IM Support Team
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

aware_support wrote: Hi Pete,

but what about our web site or one of its pages (Overview, for example) - it lists all the benefits I think (especially the new web site being designed). Why not provide a link to this page?
*I* think what Pete was saying, to have a single HTML page with text and pics that we can take the actual "HTML Content" and put that in one of our own pages/website that every time our website gets indexed, you content (including pics, text, links) also gets indexed as well. This will cause an exponential Aware Indexing than just a link to Aware site.

Did I understand you correctly Pete?
weblike

Re: Helping to Promote Aware IM...

Post by weblike »

Hi all,

New Year, new site, new forum, new version....SO...new approach is needed...

Let's make this soft bigger than it is...

With this, I decided to make my profile public( I see many of us are hiding on this forum of ...what??).. I encourage others to do so...to be open and to be more active....

I want to promote AWIM...Not afraid of competition, in the market is place for everyone...

Yes, we have the tool and I agree with TOM.. we can focus on B,C,D...

Thank you and hope to see you all more active on this forum and with all that AWIM means..

Nice day,
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
hpl123

Re:

Post by hpl123 »

tford wrote: Bottom line is that I will do everything I can to help spread the word & maximize the exposure of AwareIM in the marketplace.
I fully agree and firmly believe we all benefit if Aware IM grows. Regarding the competitive angle/discussion, there is business for us all out there :).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
numberz

Re: Helping to Promote Aware IM...

Post by numberz »

I agree with ACDC and others...in that I don't see the reasoning behind the advertising of AwareIM on created applications.

1) If I write a program for a "Car Hire"...who cares about the AwareIM logo? Not the people who have "Car Hire" businesses...but rather, the people who want to COPY a "Car Hire" application, using the same tool. This would not benefit the seller of "Car Hire" applications.

2) We see many car dealers advertising their names on vehicles. The result? More vehicles being sold, not more people creating vehicles.

Thanks,
Harry
Regards and thanks,
Harry Carter