Create and display a query with more than 3 objects

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Imad

Create and display a query with more than 3 objects

Post by Imad »

Dear Sir/Madam,
Suppose that I have the following objects and their relation is many to many

Student (FirstName, LastName)

Course (Math, English)

Lecturer (John, Smith)

I would like to display all those objects and their attributes in one query and one table. Also could you tell me please where and how I create this query?

Best regards,
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Dear Imad,

I can't see how it is possible to display these objects in one table. Do you want to show all students and for every student show all courses and for every course show its lecturer(s)? Or is it one lecturer per course?

I suggest that you display all students first in a table. When a user clicks on any entry in this table he will see another table with a list of courses for this student and the name of a lecturer for this course.

Is this an acceptable solution? If so, it is very easy to implement this in Aware IM - just make sure that a Student refers to multiple courses and run a query that shows all students. When a user clicks on an entry in a students table he will see the form of the Student object that will automatically include all related Courses.
Aware IM Support Team
Imad

Post by Imad »

Dear Aware IM support team,

What you have described is quiet write and I have this relation ready on my database. I can see the courses through the student’s form.
Maybe I have wrongly described me need. I will arrange my objects in different way as following

Student (FirstName, LastName, Course, Lecturer)

Course (Math, English, Student,Lecturer)

Lecturer (John, Smith, Student, Course)

Now, I would like to create a query that displays

“All Students that studying Math and English and the Lecturers are John and Smith”

Is that possible, how and from where I can make or create this query?

Also I would like to know if the Aware IM program allows me to send emails using an email application such as Outlook Express or MS Outlook via for example clicking on the email address for a student or select multiple students’ emails and then call the Outlook.

Similar problem I have when one of the attributes represent a links for WebPages on the Internet. I would like to click on the web addresses (on the form or the query) and open the web browser and the webpage for this link.

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards,
Imad

Post by Imad »

(Sorry for my mistakes in previous reply)

Dear Aware IM support team,

What you have described is quiet right and I have this relation ready on my database. I can see the courses through the student’s form.

Maybe I have wrongly described my need. I will rearrange the objects in different way as following

Student (FirstName, LastName, Course, Lecturer)

Course (Math, English, Student,Lecturer)

Lecturer (John, Smith, Student, Course)

Now, I would like to create a query that displays

“All Students that studying Math and English and the Lecturers are John and Smith”

Is that possible, how and from where I can make or create this query?

Also I would like to know if the Aware IM program allows me to send emails using an email application such as Outlook Express or MS Outlook via for example clicking on the email address for a student or select multiple students’ emails and then call the Outlook.

Similar problem I have when one of the attributes represent a links for WebPages on the Internet. I would like to click on the web addresses (on the form or the query) and open the web browser and the webpage for this link.

Thank you very much for your support.

Best regards,
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Dear Imad,

1. Query question:
The query may look like this:

FIND Student WHERE (EXISTS Course WHERE (Course IN Student.Courses AND (Course.Name='English' OR Course.Name='Math') AND Course.Lecturer.Name='John Smith)))

To configure it create a new query in the Configuration Tool and enter the text above into the Rule Language tab of the query form. Then define a menu item that will run this query.

2. E-mail question
It is easy to send e-mails in Aware IM, even though it doesn't use Outlook or Outlook express. You can check detailed description of how to do this in the User Manual or How To Guide. Let us know if you have further questions on this.

3. Link question
If you want to include a link to an arbitrary web page on the form of a business object you need to define a cell of the HTML type on the layout of the form and specify the HTML of the link. To do this:
a) Open business object for editing in the Configuration Tool
b) Double click on the form of the business object in the list of business object forms - a dialog with form sections will be displayed.
c) Double click on the form section where you want the link to be. The form section editing dialog will be displayed.
e) Click on the "Add" button and select the "Blank row" radio button on the dialog. The new row will be added to the layout
f) Double click on the empty cell in the layout to bring up cell editing dialog. Change cell type from "Empty" to HTML and specify the HTML text of the link, for example <a href="mywebpage.com">Link text</a>
g) Save all changes.

It is actually easier than it sounds. Please also check the Form Section Editing section in the User Manual.

Hope this helps.
Aware IM Support Team
Imad

Post by Imad »

Dear Support Team,

First of all thank you for the reply

The query that links many objects presents many solutions to me and thank you for that.

For the email application, I have used the Aware IM and it sent emails without problem but I just was wonder if it possible to use other emails application.

For the link question, the link is working fine on the form but it act as a label not as an attribute value that will be different for one instance to another.

I think allowing Aware IM to link to any hyperlink type whether email address or webpage as attributes values will add huge advantages for the Aware IM users. Aware IM is an excellent Database application and I hope in the next upgrade you will look to those missing features.

Thank you a lot for all support.

Best regards,
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Dear Imad,

another feature you can use to add links to e-mail clients (such as Outlook) and web pages is business object presentations. You can add tag elements to presentations that point to dynamic attribute values and define them as hyperlinks. The only limtation is that presentations do not support form editing at the moment, but if this is not a problem you can give this feature a shot.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
Imad

Post by Imad »

Thank you very much for all support.

Best regards,