Hosting on External Server

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
4xjbh

Hosting on External Server

Post by 4xjbh »

I do not wish to set up AwareIM on a local server, instead hosting on 3rd party external server that allows access via Plesk Control Panel. It allows the upload of Tomcat WAR files but I cannot find it in the Aware IM Eval distribution. How do I go aboutsetting this up or am I destined to keep it installed on a local server?

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you want to install Aware IM on an external host then you should do it only to host applications that have been already configured.

So you need to run Aware IM on a local machine or on a LAN first and use the Configuration Tool to configure and test applications and when you are happy with the applications you can then upload them as files to the external host.

Let us know when you are ready to do this and we will let you know how to set up the external host and how to upload the configuration files.
Aware IM Support Team
4xjbh

Post by 4xjbh »

What happens if I have a segregated development team?....not in the same office.......do I use remote access/vpn?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If different people in a development team are working on different applications there is no problem.

If they are working on the same application then someone has to merge their work to create a single configuration before putting it back on the Aware IM server (whether it is an external server, a LAN server or a local machine).

This is similar to traditional developers changing code of the same source file:
1) A developer locks a file in a version control system;
2) Different developers perform their modifications to the file;
3) Some developer merges the work of different people to produce a single source file;
4) The result is put back and the file is unlocked.

In Aware IM it is the same - configuration of an application is locked and then when the final result is ready it is uploaded to the server and unlocked.

The configuration file can be uploaded to the local or LAN server using the Configuration Tool. Or it can be uploaded to an external server using any Internet browser.
Aware IM Support Team