V7 Mobile/Desktop - Establish naming standards from start!

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
BenHayat

V7 Mobile/Desktop - Establish naming standards from start!

Post by BenHayat »

Hello friends;

I mentioned in my previous thread, Mobile is a "First Class" citizen in V7. It deserves (and sometimes requires) to have it's own forms, queries and processes (like those that Enter/Edit/View Mobile or desktop forms from process).

As I'm trying to build a parallel (Desktop || Mobile) app, I'm a firm believer now NOT to build resources (forms, queries and processes) with "Least-Common-Denominator". Many people go this route to save time, and future maintenance. But I can tell you (and save you headache) making shortcuts, WILL cost you more time and frustrations than doing it right the first time.

My 2 cents advice is to take each platform on it's own path. So, if you do decide to listen to me, the next point is naming convention.
I'm not going to tell what naming convention to use, BUT you should make one to identify clearly for each resource to designate the platform (Mobile or Desktop). For example, if you make a two queries to search Customers (for Mobile & Desktop) call them SearchCustomer_D, SearchCustomer_M.
You will have a lot more resources in the IDE, so it's best to get organize and stay with it. Otherwise you will end up getting stoner eye glasses.

Hope this helps...
BenHayat

Re: V7 Mobile/Desktop - Establish naming standards from star

Post by BenHayat »

BenHayat wrote: Otherwise you will end up getting stoner eye glasses.
I meant to say "Stronger" eye glasses. Now you see why I had to go with better naming conventions? :D