Query Column Headings

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
RocketRod

Query Column Headings

Post by RocketRod »

The ability to be able to change column headings for displayed items in a query is a great new feature. With AwareIM I find there is always several ways to resolve an issue. One that I had recently was that I had developed an application with a BO that stored KPIs (Key Performance Indicators). Each different type of KPI required the same number of attributes although each attribute had a different meaning for each type of KPI, so I stored them in a single BO. But as each type of KPI had a different meaning how was I to show the appropriate column heading when a user looked at the KPI data?

Simple.

1. Create a header KPI BO with a referenced KPI detail BO with multiple instances.
2. Create a different query for each type of KPI accessing the same detail BO. Use the More... feature on Displayed Attributes to set the columns relevant to the particular KPI type instances being selected.
2. Write a query for the header KPI BO with an Edit button to display the header KPI BO edit form.
3. On the Header KPI BO edit form set up each KPI detail BO query as an operation invoked from the form. Use the Applicability Condition to only display the operation button when the relevant KPI type is selected. That's it.

So a user runs the KPI Header BO query. They select the KPI they would like to see the data for and it displays the Edit form. At the top of the form is displayed one button (the others are hidden as they are not relevant to this KPI type) with a title relevant to that KPI. When the user clicks on the button it runs the relevant KPI detail query and displays the KPI data with columns headings appropriate to that KPI type!

Cheers Rod
tford

Post by tford »

Very creative! Could you share screen shots?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Will do when I get a moment