Query Summaries

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
RocketRod

Query Summaries

Post by RocketRod »

The Query summary feature was added to allow totals of columns to be shown at the bottom of a query. However it has many other uses as it can show attributes of a BO.

For example , I have developed an application that has a Questions BO and a referenced Answers BO. Each instance of the Questions BO can have multiple possible answers. Each Question when answered can jump to one of several different questions depending on the answer chosen by the user. That is the questions may run 1,2,3... but also 1,2,4... So my issue was, how to display the question and its possible answers on the screen for the user and allow them to pick an answer and then have the next question and its answers displayed automatically?

Well I created a query to display the possible answers to a question. The query finds all answers equal to the current question number which I stored and updated in the SystemSettings BO via a process called after a question is answered. All straightforward. I've also set the query to refresh automatically after this particular process is run. So it displays the answers to the next question after the user has answered the current question. All good stuff, but how to display the question itself on the query and have it automatically updated when the query is refreshed?

Answer: Store the question itself in the SystemSettings BO as well as the question number and place <<SystemSettings.Question>> in the query summary!! Use some HTML formatting to make it nice and big and hey presto as each question is answered the possible answers to the next question are displayed with the question at the bottom of the screen. The number of possible answers is small enough to always have the question displayed on the screen without any scrolling by the user required.

Question: Why not put the question in a column heading. It's not refreshed when the query is refreshed, and so remains the same, i.e. the description of the first question.

Cheers Rod
tford

Post by tford »

Very interesting!

Would love to see some screen shots and a sample BSV.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Will do when I get a moment.