IE Freezes

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
bpolak

IE Freezes

Post by bpolak »

I often have to open my windows task manager and "end task" on internet explorer when using applications built in AwareIM. This only really happens when I close the Internet Explorer window where I'm using an awareIM application. No other web pages give me this problem.

This doesn't happen if I use the older interface for AwareIM (logon.jsp). It only happens with the new AJAX interface.

I've tried this on several versions of IE (I'm using 8.0 now) but I always run into this problem. Could that be caused by something on the server side?

Any help is appreciated!

-Brian
version 4.9 Build 1351
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Have you tried other browsers? Do they freeze as well?
Aware IM Support Team
bpolak

Post by bpolak »

I have tried other browsers and they do not appear to have that problem. However, with Firefox, Chrome, and Opera, the spacing on the custom presentations get increased. (There's unwanted white space appearing between components on the presentation.) IE displays the spacing as it appears when seen in the configuration tool.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Not sure. I don't think anyone has reported the same problem before. Maybe this is something specific to your application...
Aware IM Support Team
bpolak

Post by bpolak »

FYI- I was able to resolve this... sort of.

Apparently this is a problem with IE versions 6-8 and the way it handles transparent png files. If you are interested in the details, you can look here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/design- ... oblem.html

Others who have encountered this haven't come up with a fix. However, I was able to significantly speed up the load time for custom presentation files by changing this file:
C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\aware_ext\resources\css\iepngfix.htc

After I removed ALL code from that file and left it completely empty (0 KB), the "items remaining" countdown was significantly faster because each "item" being loaded didn't have to churn through a whole page of code that exists in that htc file.

So if you run into this problem and are looking for a workaround that will make your application functional, this may work for you too.

Fixing this problem fixes the "IE freezing" issue as it was directly related to the way images are loading and tying up system resources.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Wow, this is an excellent investigation - thanks a lot. We will be moving this thread to "Tips and Tricks" forum.

By the way, the file iepngfix.htc only exists for compatibility with IE 6, which is getting less and less relevant nowadays anyway.
Aware IM Support Team