Custom Presentation - Items Remaining in IE

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
bpolak

Custom Presentation - Items Remaining in IE

Post by bpolak »

Has anyone else had problems with internet explorer loading custom presentations? Specifically, if my custom presentation has a lot of items on it, IE slowly counts down the number of "items remaining" in the status bar at the bottom left. I typically can't click on anything else until that number of items has gone all the way down to zero.

My custom presentation pops up pretty quickly but then I can't click on any of the links in that presentation until those "items remaining" have all been loaded. Sometimes it takes up to 5 or 7 seconds before I can move on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
bpolak

Post by bpolak »

FYI- I was able to resolve this... sort of.

Apparently this is a problem with IE versions 6-8 and the way it handles transparent png files. If you are interested in the details, you can look here: http://www.techsupportforum.com/design- ... oblem.html

Others who have encountered this haven't come up with a fix. However, I was able to significantly speed up the load time for custom presentation files by changing this file:
C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\aware_ext\resources\css\iepngfix.htc

After I removed ALL code from that file and left it completely empty (0 KB), the "items remaining" countdown was significantly faster because each "item" being loaded didn't have to churn through a whole page of code that exists in that htc file.

So if you run into this problem and are looking for a workaround that will make your application functional, this may work for you too.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thank you very much for this interesting investigation.

By the way, the file iepng.htc only exists for compatibility with IE 6.0, which is getting less and less relevant these days.

We'll be moving this thread to the "Tips and Tricks" forum.
Aware IM Support Team