Example BSV: Custom Banner

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
tford

Example BSV: Custom Banner

Post by tford »

This BSV demonstrates how to use HTML cell of a Form to put a Custom Banner in AwareIM's Banner frame. AwareIM attributes can easily be placed in the banner also.

Download BSV:Here
Remove .bin extension after download

Example of Custom Banner below shows:
1) logo (AwareIM used in this case)
2) System Name that can be easily changed
3) User name

This shows the SystemSettings form called "Top Banner". It includes a HTML cell whith the 3 different types of elements mentioned above.

To Run the Sample BSV:

1) When you run the BSV you will get a message that a BO is unresolved. Cancel this message & click on System Setttings.

Here you can enter HTML that will be used as the System Name.

2) Click Home and you will see the System Name from #1 above show up in the banner.

3) You can also use the configuration tool to modify the hard coded HTML in the "Top Banner" form.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
thom

Post by thom »

Tom,

Thanks for the tip. Another good example for system settings! I was wondering if you had any experience using a Plain Text attribute that has HTML format associated with it. Using your example,
1. change the format on the field to HTML format.
2. Go to system, and change your banner text to include colors, italic, bold,...etc

You will notice that stylized text like color will show through on your banner correctly, but things like underline, italic, and bold do not show up.

Your example uses a Form to contain the banner, but if you tried a presentation or a report then you will get the un-stylized html.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great. Thanks again for working example.
Thom
Windows-SQL Server Express 2005-Build 1336
tford

Post by tford »

I was wondering if you had any experience using a Plain Text attribute that has HTML format associated with it
No, but I see what you are saying.
tford

Post by tford »

Thom,

I just did some experimenting with the HTML editor & how the result shows in a Form's HTML cell. I used the "Source Edit" button to look "under the hood".

If you change the HTML generated by the editor as follows, the results will appear properly on the Form:

Bold:
HTML editor generates: <STRONG>bold</STRONG>
Change it to: <b>bold</b>

Italics:
HTML editor generates: <EM>italics</EM>
Change it to: <I>italics</I>
thom

Post by thom »

Tom,

I noticed that too, but I was hoping there was a way to do this without editing the source - not something to open up to end users (for other uses than the banner)

The use of strong tag rather than the <b> has got to be something configured or setup in the editor. It looks like Aware integrated FCKeditor, but I thought I read a note that this was recently upgraded or changed. I'll see what I can find and post comments here. Thanks for the follow-up
Thom
Windows-SQL Server Express 2005-Build 1336