Integrating Fusion Charts - writing XML/HTML - Sample #1

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
tford

Integrating Fusion Charts - writing XML/HTML - Sample #1

Post by tford »

This post will begin to show how to integrate Fusion Charts Free Version with AwareIM data. The same concepts apply to their paid version.

Concepts explained in these forum posts will be used in the Fusion Charts integration process:
.. Export HTML files using AwareIM data & Display same (#1)
.. Export HTML files using AwareIM data & Display same (#2)
.. Export Reports using AwareIM data & Displaying same (#3)

This screencast shows 22 different free Fusion charts displayed in AwareIM:Download here

BSV used to make the screencast above: Download here
(Note: Remove the .bin extension to import into AwareIM configuration tool)

To use this BSV:
1) Download Fusion Charts Free files:Download here

2) Create a subdirectory: C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM\FusionChartsFree & put the unzipped Fusion Charts Free folders and files there. In the zipped file, there should be subdirectories: Charts, Code, Contents, Gallery, JSClass. We won't use all of it, but it's easiest just to download it all.

Note that whenever you install a new build of AwareIM, you will have to copy this sub directory back into AwareIM.

3) Log in to the BSV and you will be able to see all of the charts and graphs that were in the screencast above.

4) Click on "Chart" and you will see this graph:

4) To make this work, this BSV simply uses DISPLAY URL action to display each of the sample HTML / XML files provided with Fusion Charts in #2 above

5) Following are the HTML file called by the AwareIM menu item and the XML file called by the HTML file:

6) So, to have AwareIM create Fusion Charts & display them within AwareIM, all that needs to be done is to create appropriate HTML and XML files and write them to the correct locations. The HTML files are then referred to in the URL menu item.

Creation of the HTML and XML files by AwareIM will be covered in the next forum post in a couple of days.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
tford

Post by tford »

Note also that you can click on "View XML" to see the XML used in generating each of the graphs:

kklosson

OT - Fusion Charts in Desktop App

Post by kklosson »

Tom,

I looked at the FC documentation but it wasn't clear to me if I need web server technology to produce a chart. I have a desktop application. If I can create the XML file and load the HTML document into a flash-capable HTML container, do you figure this works?

Also, how much baggage would have to be deployed?

Thanks
tford

Post by tford »

Yes, all you need is the SWF along with XML and HTML to drive it. I have run it on both my laptop and server.