Difficult to read calculated/read only attributes

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
rolfb

Difficult to read calculated/read only attributes

Post by rolfb »

Users complain about the read only attributes that are difficult to read - i have to agree that is acually a pain to see those attributes. is there a way to change the font, background, make it bold etc?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It is possible to change the style in Firefox but not in IE. The best alternative is to display calculated attributes as tags in HTML cells: <<MyObject.MyAttribute>>

This has been asked before - please search the forum for a detailed reply.
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

Support: Is there someway to make this change in the THEME.

Suggesting that we create an HTML cell for every calculated attribute on every screen so that a user can read an attribute when using a standard function seems a little harsh? Do you have any other suggestions?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

I agree that it's a bit harsh, but like I said at the moment the change in the CSS style will only work in FF, not in IE. A change in a theme is a change in the CSS.

I guess in the future version we could optionally display calculated attributes as labels, but at the moment, the workaround I suggested is the best we can do. Unfortunately IE does not allow you to control the appearance of the read-only fields (FF does)
Aware IM Support Team
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

Support, Any chance you could point us to that part of the CSS that deals with this attribute. I hate IE anyay and would be happy to use virtually any other browser
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Open the following file:

AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM/aware_ext/resources/css/blue.css

Locate the following lines:

/* Disabling on Mozilla and Safari is almost invisible - use our own */
.x-item-disabled { color:black;cursor:default;opacity:.8;-moz-opacity:.8;filter:alpha(opacity=80);
}

This is the css setting that controls opacity in FF and Safari. You can play with the settings of "opacity" and "alpha" until you find the settings you are happy with.

Don't forget to refresh the browser every time you make a change to this file.
Aware IM Support Team
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

Before i apply your suggestion, is there any change in the status on this, or any idea if IE9 will support this? I too am having trouble reading calculated fields (I must be getting old :shock: ).
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

IDEA:

User Shortcut form style for Calculated fields.

I just stumbled across that this morning and think it is exactly what most folks would want. This is a much better visual AND is cross browser compatible.

gust

Post by gust »

aware_support wrote:Open the following file:

AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM/aware_ext/resources/css/blue.css

Locate the following lines:

/* Disabling on Mozilla and Safari is almost invisible - use our own */
.x-item-disabled { color:black;cursor:default;opacity:.8;-moz-opacity:.8;filter:alpha(opacity=80);
}

This is the css setting that controls opacity in FF and Safari. You can play with the settings of "opacity" and "alpha" until you find the settings you are happy with.

Don't forget to refresh the browser every time you make a change to this file.
Will this work in Opera or there are any other solution of changing opacity of Read only fields?

Really difficult to read.
AwareIM v5.1 (build 1426)
ab042

Protected attribute visual problems

Post by ab042 »

Most anyone using protected attributes would vote this as a "Major" user interface problem and it has been a problem for an extended period of time.

Do you see anything coming down the road that will resolve the issue for all devices and all browsers? And if so, can you give us an idea of a time frame.

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We'll see if we can do something about this in the next version...
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

Any luck with this, it is a major issue for us.

Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We'll do it in the next minor release
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We have implemented some changes in this area. Calculated attributes should now be displayed as normal attributes, but you shouldn't be able to change them. Please take a look at the experimental version and let us know if you are happy with the end result.

To get the experimental version please do the following:
1. Update to the latest Aware IM build (1830) if not done already
2. Download the file http://www.awareim.com/aware.js.bin (if the file loads as text save the text)
3. Rename the file to aware.js
4. Put the file in AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM/aware_ext directory overwriting the original (copy the original somewhere just in case)
5. Refresh your browser
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Correction: the latest build number is 1430, not 1830
Aware IM Support Team