Archive Suggestions?

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
twhitehurst

Archive Suggestions?

Post by twhitehurst »

I have a database with BO of Projects which have associated BO's of Inspections. I'm looking for ways to speed up queries and I'm starting to think about how I could Archive old projects or reports so they are not searched in current queries. I need to keep the data avaliable but wondered if anyone had any suggestions as to a "Best Practices" way of doing this?
tford

Post by tford »

Hi Todd,

I'm curious how many records you are talking about or what types of queries. I really have not found any speed issues at all with V4 queries. For me, they are very quick.

Tom
tford

Post by tford »

Todd,

One way would be to create Projects_Archive and Inspection_Archives BOs. You could then write the Projects and Inspection records over to the new BOs which could have their own archive search function.

You could put them in a BO group so that you could search the current records, archive records, or both.

Tom
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

I agree with Tom, but you need to look at your application and what is the scope. As Tom mentioned how many records are you talking about that you would need to archive a BO's data?
Cheers,

Christopher
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

One big factor that can speed up your queries is ticking "Indexed" checkbox for those attributes that are frequently used in your queries
Aware IM Support Team
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

The total database size is about 12GB and the queries are searching some 50 thousand documents (and growing daily). The database is running on Derby (which I wish was different only because I think it might be faster on SQL and the case sensitive searches are a pain).

I use indexing a lot and they system has a lot of references. Plus the queries typically need to do functions like matching the office of the LoggedInRegularUser then matching a date range before pulling the query. It is much faster in V4 but still can take 5 to 7 minutes at times.

Server is a Windows Box with 4GB of RAM. I have played with memory settings over and over again. Currently running 1GB for Aware and 500 for Tomcat and 500 for JBoss leaving 2GB for the server.

I'm unsure of the best settings and have read all the posts on memory; my current problem is that the Printer Friendly and Export Functions don't want to run which I feel is a memory problem also.

The system has a lot of file attachments being uploaded so this is also a factor in memory.

I am open for all suggestions. I would push the server to 12GB of RAM but my server is sitting at GoDaddy and they won't go past 4GB??? (Between you and me GoDaddy is OK but a pain to deal with even on a dedicated server.)
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

You might want to consider the raw horsepower of your server. Memory is great and critical but it is not the only factor. I recently moved away from a Dedicated Server at GoDaddy to a much more robust quad processor server with another provider and everything is running five times faster than it used to with GoDaddy. In addition, I am finding that ftp upload and download speeds are way faster even though GoDaddy swear that they don't throttle bandwidths, I believe that they do.

Cheers,
Pete
twhitehurst

Post by twhitehurst »

Hi Pete, you have my Attention!! I've moved servers once which is a little painful just due to moving the 12GB of data but if you're seeing 5 times faster then I'm planning a move as soon as possible. I guess I've held on with GoDaddy for too long, but now it is time to move up in the world :?

Thanks for the input / suggestion