Tips n' Techniques: Steps for changing default folder name

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
pbrad

Tips n' Techniques: Steps for changing default folder name

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I thought that I would share this for anyone looking to change the default deployment folder url from AwareIM to anything else in V4. I have also included the steps for defining max memory allocations as people are always asking about this:

1. Rename C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\AwareIM directory to C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\newfoldername

2. Open the file web.xml located in the AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/newfoldername/WEB-INF directory, search for AwareIM and replace it with newfoldername

3. Open the file awareApp.js located in C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\newfoldername\aware_ext, search for AwareIM and replace it with newfoldername

4. Open the file aware_ext.js located in C:\AwareIM\Tomcat\webapps\newfoldername\config, search for AwareIM and replace it with newfoldername

5. Open UIConfig.props file in /AwareIM/bin and add: OperationMode = http://localhost:8080/newfoldername/logonAdmin.html

6. Edit startupOptions.props in AwareIM\bin to include max memory settings(to define non service startup memory settings)

i.e.: "TOMCAT_STARTUP=..\\JDK\\bin\\java -Xmx256m -Xms20m -Djava.endorsed.dirs=../Tomcat/common/endorsed -classpath ../JDK/lib/tools.jar;../Tomcat/bin/bootstrap.jar -Dcatalina.base=../Tomcat -Dcatalina.home=../Tomcat -Djava.io.tmpdir=../Tomcat/temp org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start
JBOSS_STARTUP=..\\JDK\\bin\\java -Xmx128m -Djboss.home.dir=../JBoss -classpath ../JDK/lib/tools.jar;../JBoss/bin/run.jar org.jboss.Main -c bas
CONFIG_TOOL_STARTUP=..\\JDK\\bin\\java -Xmx512M -classpath .."

Memory settings for the Aware IM Server are set in the startAwareIM.bat file - change -Xmx96M setting in startAwareIM.bat

7. Add "wrapper.java.maxmemory=750" to bottom of awareim.conf, jboss.conf and tomcat.conf in awareim\bin folder. (to define max memory settings when running AwareIM as a service, (change 750 to your preferred setting))

Hope this is of some help to other people,
Pete
christopherb

Post by christopherb »

great - thank you
Cheers,

Christopher
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks, Pete! We should have included this into our documentation somewhere... Next time...
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

Did something change in build 1135 that would effect the default folder rename process?

I did everything I normally do after a new version and everything runs fine without error. But none of the MySQL data appears?

I'm thinking one of the files that reference then renamed default folder has changed but I couldn't find it.

FYI: If I don't rename the default folder everything works fine so it has something to do with the renaming of the default folder or the way I'm doing it which has been the same for every v4 build before this one.

Any suggestions?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Nothing has been changed in build 1135 that could affect this. If the process worked for you before it should work now as well. You need to look at other reasons.
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

Hi,

I have to support the claim of ab042, I am now experiencing the same problem after upgrading to 1135. However, I don't believe that the problem is with the data connection, that is fine. The problem is with query displays, they are all showing blank. If you view the single record of system settings, you can see the data.

So to ask the question another way, is there anything different in 1135 in the way that it handles queries?

Pete
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Just checked queries in the CRM sample application with build 1135 - they all work fine. Do they work for you? Do queries work in a standard "AwareIM" directory setup?

This is very strange, because in theory there were no changes that could have affected this.
Aware IM Support Team
pbrad

Post by pbrad »

My profuse apologies. In my rush to test it out before I headed out to take my daughter to school I modified my local version and then overwrote the new production server version but neglected to change the folder reference from AwareIM in the js file.

I realized my error while driving and almost got a speeding ticket rushing back to fix it before you wasted any time troubleshooting this.

Sorry about that, it works fine now.
Pete
ab042

Post by ab042 »

I went through the process manually and it does work. I'm not sure why my batch file that I've been using for sometime didn't.

When I get time to debug if I find something that maybe helpful to another user I'll post my findings here but the above method works.

Thanks for the fast response and sorry to waist your time.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

No worries, guys. I know how you felt Pete - I nearly got a heart attack thinking that queries no longer work in the new build.

Cheers
Aware IM Support Team
wings

Server Configurations

Post by wings »

Any suggestions as to what the best settings for memory with the following configuration:

Dual Xeon 3.0Ghz
8 Gig Ram
Windows Server 64bit
MySQL 64 bit
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You have plenty of RAM. Memory settings depend on the nature of your application. If you are likely to have MANY concurrent users, allocate as much memory as possible to Tomcat, for example 512M or more. It is ALWAYS a good idea to allocate as much memory as possible to the Aware IM Server - in your case you can allocate 512M easily and probably more.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Correction to step 3 in the original post:

The file to change is now AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM/aware_ext/aware.js

NOT aware_app.js !!
Aware IM Support Team
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

This is very good trick to do,

I followed the steps as shown above and it works also, but i like to ask is there any way to set down the OperationMode URL also. Like we can set Memory Settings and others at control panel settings or I need to change somewhere in file under awareIM folder.

When i renamed the folder and run my application by clicking on the operation button on control panel it will show the same AwareIm/logonAdmin.html so page can't displayed, which every time i need to change manually newfoldernam/logonAdmin.html.

Then it runs!.

any suggestions!
From,
Himanshu Jain

AwareIM Consultant (since version 4.0)
DB: MYSQL, MSSQL
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You need to change the "OperationMode" property in the AwareIM/bin/UIConfig.props file, for example

OperationMode=http://localhost:8080/MyDirectory/logonAdmin.html
Aware IM Support Team