Copy/Duplicate record in the same BO

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
marc

Copy/Duplicate record in the same BO

Post by marc »

Is there a simple way to find a specific attribute value in a BO and duplicate/copy this record in the same BO using a Process and not to have to definine each Field seperately?
Rem

Post by Rem »

Can you be a bit more specific? I don´t fully understand what you want to do!

/Rem
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Rem, no Problem, the details:
i have two BOs (BO1 + BO2) with reletaion only one datarecord in BO2 is set via field to active=yes.
I would like to copy the active record which is releated to BO1 of BO2 (all fields at once) to BO2 as new record and set the old BO2 record to active=No
The reason for the copying is to build up a histrory of all changes in BO2
tford

Post by tford »

marc,

I'm not aware of a way to do it automatically.

To create backup records of BO1 to BO2, you would do something like:

CREATE BO2 WITH BO2.Attribute1=BO1.Attribute1,BO2.Attribute2=BO1.Attribute2 etc, etc.

Does that help?

Tom
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Tom,

i was afraid to need a tool for each field to copy, the BO has about 30 fields to copy, on adding fields to the BO in the future i have to update the rule with the additional field(s)
Rem

Post by Rem »

So, basically you want to copy the entire BO before making any changes so that the old values are changed?

(or is it more like creating a new BO which copies the values from the old one leaving the old one intact?)

/Rem
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Rem,

no, i just want to use the find function to search for a specific record (just one hit is possible) in a BO and then copy (duplicate) the found record to the same BO. After adding the "same" record to the BO i just set the source record to incative, the target is to have the history of all changes of the records in that BO.
tford

Post by tford »

marc,

Actually you could "trick" the system by having a process to EXPORT the selected instance of the BO to a csv file, then IMPORT the save csv. I just did that in a test BSV using the Standard menu & it created the second instance of the BO just fine. You would then need to have a way in your process to identify the new instance & flagging it accordingly.

Tom
marc

Post by marc »

Hi Tom,

thanks for your great idea, i will try it...
tford

Post by tford »

marc,

You will also need a unique path for each EXPORT and IMPORT to make this work. Try something like this:

Create an attribute called PathForCopy and make a rule:
CopyMe.PathForCopy='C:/SomeDirectory/'+CopyMe.ID+'.csv'

This will give you a unique path for each BO copy that you want to make.

Tom