What are the Best Practices for Application Testing

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
ckacoroski

What are the Best Practices for Application Testing

Post by ckacoroski »

Hi,

My application is coming along nicely, but I would like to be able to create some sort of test harness to easily regression the rules as I can see myself having 500+ rules in the application. What do you do to create automated regression tests for AwareIM applications? Do you have special test objects? Do you add test rules to your existing objects?

Thanks for your ideas.

cheers,

ski
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

There are two approaches to automated testing. One is to add special testing processes to create/update/delete objects as necessary to test the application logic. An example of this approach can be seen in the Library sample application that uses several initialization processes to populate the application with sample data.

The other approach can be used when the amount of testing data is such that it is tedious/impractical to create testing processes. The approach is to import testing data from CSV files. Note that in addition to creating new objects by importing CSV files it is possible to change attributes of existing objects. It is also possible in an import file to specify links to related object instances, which the system will establish during import. An example of this approach can be seen in the Ordering sample application that imports several CSV files in its initialization process to populate the application with sample data.
Aware IM Support Team