(free) native app RAD with REST

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
hpl123

(free) native app RAD with REST

Post by hpl123 »

Hi all,
This is a tip to check out Appgyver: https://www.appgyver.com/. It is a RAD native app builder with REST capabilities. The builder is easy to use, the logic can be quite complex using a function library similar to AwareIM and the REST can be configured with GUI to (I assume) connect directly to an AwareIM backend. Best of all? It´s free.

I have played around a bit with it (also looked at a showcase of apps developed) and am pleasantly surprised over what it can do and I think this can be a great option for someone who wants to build a native app outside of Aware and have it connect to Aware via REST. I have no real use for it now, otherwise I would have dug deep and confirmed Aware integration etc.. If anyone else does something in appgyver/AwareIM, please share your result.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
tford

Re: (free) native app RAD with REST

Post by tford »

Thanks for sharing, Henrik!

From the video, AppGyver is definitely a tool to consider for the toolbox. Impressive!
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

I checked video, it looked great as first pass.
The 2 big problems -

1. ent. pricing is 850$ per month, free version does not let me connect to databases like in aware I can connect to tons of databases mariadb, mysql easily. They provide free database only for hobby use vs aware provide inbuilt database for production use.
2. Clicked on cloud integration and popped please pay 850$ per month and we will let you do cloud integration then I said ok let me think and then I closed the browser and went back to Aware IM work.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

swiftinitpvtltd wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:52 am I checked video, it looked great as first pass.
The 2 big problems -

1. ent. pricing is 850$ per month, free version does not let me connect to databases like in aware I can connect to tons of databases mariadb, mysql easily. They provide free database only for hobby use vs aware provide inbuilt database for production use.
2. Clicked on cloud integration and popped please pay 850$ per month and we will let you do cloud integration then I said ok let me think and then I closed the browser and went back to Aware IM work.
Not sure this is correct. On their website they state "For all indie developers and organizations with less than $10 Million (USD) in revenue or funding
Composer Pro is free for life." and that is IF you don´t use any of their additional services like hosted auth or hosted cloud integration (the REST api IS NOT the cloud integration). The tool itself is free and the local client storage and REST api tool looks like it´s free which means Appgyver supports local client storage and REST api connections for free and that was the whole point. Create a native app that uses local client storage together with an AwareIM backend i.e these are connected via a REST api. I could be wrong though and it´s something I have missed.
customaware

Post by customaware »

I have been trying out Appgyver and on the face of it, it looks really good.
Have it communicating with an Aware app via rest. Single record is perfect.

Problem is when returning a collection of records.

Aware returns the json with opening { } brackets and "response":

Like this......

Code: Select all

Error: Error: 
The result was not an array. Maybe the data you're looking for is inside one of the response object keys?

{
  "response": [
    {
      "Code": "1",
      "Data": "Mark",
      "Title": "Weekly Meeting",
      "CreatedDate": "11/10/2020",
      "Active": "Yes",
      "Description": "Weekly Meeting to review 4 week look ahead"
    },
    {
      "Code": "2",
      "Data": "Peter",
      "Active": "No"
    },
    {
      "Code": "3",
      "Data": "George",
      "Title": "Monthly Meeting",
      "CreatedDate": "11/06/2020",
      "Description": "Monthly Meeting to review 3 month look ahead"
    }
  ]
}
But Appgyver expects an Array like this....

The result was not an array. Maybe the data you're looking for is inside one of the response object keys?

[
    {
    },
    {
    },
    {
    }
  ]
Does anyone know a way for Aware to return JUST the array?
Cheers,
Mark
customaware

Post by customaware »

Found the answer......

Just needed to add response to the Response key path.

Awesome.
Cheers,
Mark
swiftinitpvtltd

Post by swiftinitpvtltd »

hpl123 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:39 pm
swiftinitpvtltd wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:52 am I checked video, it looked great as first pass.
The 2 big problems -

Not sure this is correct. On their website they state "For all indie developers and organizations with less than $10 Million (USD) in revenue or funding
Composer Pro is free for life." and that is IF you don´t use any of their additional services like hosted auth or hosted cloud integration (the REST api IS NOT the cloud integration). The tool itself is free and the local client storage and REST api tool looks like it´s free which means Appgyver supports local client storage and REST api connections for free and that was the whole point. Create a native app that uses local client storage together with an AwareIM backend i.e these are connected via a REST api. I could be wrong though and it´s something I have missed.
ok thanks. I did quick overview check. I will recheck again. Hope its not what I think as first impression.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

eagles9999 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:52 am I have been trying out Appgyver and on the face of it, it looks really good.
Have it communicating with an Aware app via rest. Single record is perfect.

Problem is when returning a collection of records.

Aware returns the json with opening { } brackets and "response":

Like this......

{
  "response": [
    {
    },
    {
    },
    {
    }
  ]
}
But Appgyver expects an Array like this....

[
    {
    },
    {
    },
    {
    }
  ]
Does anyone know a way for Aware to return JUST the array?
Thanks for confirming the REST integration works. Can you share a thought or two on what you have been able to do with Appgyver and Aware and possible limitations etc.?
customaware

Post by customaware »

Has anyone playing with Appgyver managed to work out how to issue a PUT or a DELETE REST call to Aware?

POST works fine but Appgyver expects PUT for Update and DELETE for Delete which Aware does not like.
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

eagles9999 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:59 am Has anyone playing with Appgyver managed to work out how to issue a PUT or a DELETE REST call to Aware?

POST works fine but Appgyver expects PUT for Update and DELETE for Delete which Aware does not like.
Should be possible in Aware, take a look at this: https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11847
customaware

Post by customaware »

Apparently PUT and DELETE are not supported. :-(
Cheers,
Mark
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

Mark

1) put/delete are not support by which?
2) can you give some "bigger picture" benefit of how you thought you could use this tool to improve your Applications?

thx
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
customaware

Post by customaware »

Aware cannot consume a PUT or a DELETE verb Jaymer.

From what we have tested so far.... Appgyver is very very cool and would allow you to create NATIVE mobile apps communicating with
Aware via REST calls. POST works perfectly. But PUT and DELETE do not.
I know it is possible to send a POST to Aware that can then trigger an Update process or a Delete Process. That works in Postman.
But Appgyver expects an Update to use a PUT verb and expects a Delete to use a DELETE verb.
Aware does not support.

If it did... then we would immediately pursue a Native version of our mobile requiments using Appgyver.

But at the moment.... no go.
Cheers,
Mark
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I do hope Aware can update to also include the missing verbs to make an full Appgyver integration possible but in the meantime, something like this is also possible:
https://www.xano.com/
https://restdb.io/

These are more or less hosted REST apis configured in a simple GUI way and they include all that is needed for Appgyver apps. These can then act as an intermediate between the Appgyver app and AwareIM. The hosted REST apis are fully configurable and we would then configure some api endpoint from the hosted REST that Aware understands and can work with.

Again, if anyone actually use this or does something with Appgyver etc., please share your results.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Another way is build a simple REST api in PHP but requires coding:
https://codeofaninja.com/2017/02/create ... n-php.html