Difficult to read calculated/read only attributes

Contains tips for configurators working with Aware IM
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

I have tested with IE 8 and Safari on Build 1430 and see no change so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Cheers Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Sorry, for some reason there was an old file on the web site. Please re-download the file and try again (don't forget to refresh the browser)
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

On the new experimental version the protected attributes appear exactly the same as non protected attributes making it more confusing than ever to the end user.

Possible suggestions (I'm not sure they will work without viewing samples):

Suggest #1) Is it possible to make protected Bold & Grey in color?
Suggest #2) Is it possible to change the box color around the attribute (maybe red)?
Suggest #3) Regardless of what you do, Maybe a popup balloon if a protected attribute is clicked on that says "Field is protected, no change"

Anything that makes them different and readable is going to be a great help.

Thanks again
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Excellent progress support. I can now see them!

However I agree with abo42 that it needs to be different in some way so users can distinguish which are which. The previous lightness was the difference but now that the readability has been improved there is no difference. Also pretending to be a user I backspaced within a calculated field and I crashed out! It only appears to be the backspace key. Trying to enter other keys appears to be ignored as it should be. IE8 tested. A little more tweaking and I think you will be there.

Cheers Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We have implemented another change that makes calculated attributes paler. Please download the new version of the same file and perform the same steps as before. Don't forget to refresh the browser.

You can now also change the settings of the calculated fields. Each of them are assigned x-item-disabled CSS class and by changing values in this class you can change how they look. To change the CSS settings open the file AwareIM/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM/aware_ext/resources/css/blue.css

and search for "x-item-disabled". You will locate the following lines:

.x-item-disabled {
color:black;cursor:default;opacity:.8;-moz-opacity:.8;filter:alpha(opacity=80);
}

You can change the color above and the opacity - smaller opacity makes them paler, for example:
.x-item-disabled {
color:black;cursor:default;opacity:.6;-moz-opacity:.8;filter:alpha(opacity=60);
}

or
.x-item-disabled {
color:gray;cursor:default;
}

Votes for the best looking settings are welcome. Once we know what most people want we'll make the changes permanent
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Forgot to say that after you change the CSS settings you need to refresh the browser so that it picks up the changes
Aware IM Support Team
RocketRod

Post by RocketRod »

Well I've tried but can't get any changes I make to make a difference so I'm obviously doing something very basically wrong. Am refreshing the browser however. So I guess I'll just go with the flow.

Cheers Rod
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Which browser are you using? IE8? We didn't test this particular one. Chrome, IE9, FF are all sensitive to the changes, but maybe IE8 isn't?

Anyway, if we do not receive any votes, we'll go with what we think is best.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The changes have been released in version 5.1a
Aware IM Support Team
nlarson

Post by nlarson »

I'm using build 1446 with Firefox and IE, can't really see any change either, still looks like light grey to me. Is there something which needs to be done on my side?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

They are still grey but they shouldn't be as light grey as before. Previously read-only fields were displayed with the "disabled" HTML attribute. Apparently IE has no control whatsoever on how this attribute is displayed. In the latest version we have changed the "displayed" attribute to the "readOnly" attribute. It is still displayed as light grey but it can be controlled in the CSS file.

If you know how to check CSS settings in IE you can verify that the field has "read-only" attribute and you can play with is settings and then change them in the CSS file to be what you want them to be
Aware IM Support Team
BobK

Post by BobK »

Are there any CSS settings that can be changed to improve the appearance of protected fields on mobile devices?
Bob
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Try Google Chrome instead of a mobile device (it's the same family of browsers) and experiment with CSS. Log in to a mobile application using Chrome (use logonAdminM.html) and then right click on the element you want to experiment with to show a popup menu and select "Inspect Element". This should give you a great tool that displays all CSS/HTML settings for the element and allows you to change the settings in-line
Aware IM Support Team
BobK

Post by BobK »

Thank you for pointing out Chrome's 'Inspect Element', that truly is a helpful feature. I was able to find out what I needed to change, thanks again.
Bob