Export/import business space

On this forum you can see a list of new features requested by users and you can also cast your own vote (you need to login to vote).

What do you think of this feature?

Showstopper - cannot start using Aware IM without it.
4%
Critical - need to have it within 3 months.
17%
Very important - need to have it within 6 months.
26%
Important - need to have it within 12 months.
26%
Would be nice to have it in the future.
22%
Do not need it.
4%

Total votes: 23

aware_admin
Site Admin

Export/import business space

Post by aware_admin »

Ability to export the currently operational version of a business space that includes both its configuration and data entered by end users as a file. Then import this file. This functionality may be useful when changing databases or moving applications with data to different machines.

(Aware IM already offers functionality to export/import configuration only).
Last edited by aware_admin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:02 am, edited 8 times in total.
greg

Post by greg »

I think it is a critical feature. FileMaker does it, however its databases are generally smaller. It is easy in FileMaker to export a subset of a database and to email it. This feature will help to move a larger database to another server or to zip it up and send it to a collaborator.
pixerp

Post by pixerp »

I'm not sure I understand the point clearly. I thougt user data are stored in a Database (e.g. Mysql) that I can save/restore or access from another application ?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, the data is stored in a database that can be accessed by other applications.

This feature is for situations when you make a decision to change the database for your Aware IM application (for example, from MySQL to SQL Server) AND you want to transfer your operational data from one database to another.

(Transferring configuration data is not a problem at all. Transferring operational data from one database to the other is at the moment rather tedious because you will have to export/import Aware IM databases manually. The utility will make this process easier).
Aware IM Support Team
cchappell

Post by cchappell »

Not sure how to vote. But I would say this would be a pretty important feature.