Internationalization

On this forum you can see a list of new features requested by users and you can also cast your own vote (you need to login to vote).

What do you think of this feature?

Showstopper - cannot start using Aware IM without it.
17%
Critical - need to have it within 3 months.
13%
Very important - need to have it within 6 months.
26%
Important - need to have it within 12 months.
13%
Would be nice to have it in the future.
13%
Do not need it.
17%

Total votes: 23

aware_admin
Site Admin

Internationalization

Post by aware_admin »

Aware IM to support different languages, not just English (this does not include the ability to create applications that are capable of switching between languages - see separate feature)
Last edited by aware_admin on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
jclark58

Re: Internalization

Post by jclark58 »

aware_admin wrote:Aware IM to support different languages, not just English (this does not include the ability to create applications that are capable of switching between languages - see separate feature)
Shouldnt this be titled "Internationalization"?
Iverni

Post by Iverni »

I think Aware IM must support German language. Thank you!
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

AwareIM 1.6 which should be released during the next few weeks will support (at least) german and french.
aware_admin
Site Admin

Post by aware_admin »

Support for German and French has been implemented in version 2.0
baskosi

Post by baskosi »

Is there a way to translate strings to other languages?

I'm willing to translate it myself and send you the translations if you wish to offer them to other users.

Borut
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Yes, there is. Look at the file called ApplicationResources.properties located in the AwareIMRoot/Tomcat/shared/classes directory.

You can change the strings in this directory and re-start Aware IM.
Aware IM Support Team
Rem

Post by Rem »

If I make a Swedish version of ApplicationResources how do I make the server use it?

I also think there should be someplace (in this forum or on the website) where we can share and contribute with these kind of things.

/Rem
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

If you make a Swedish version just make sure you replace the file ApplicationResources.properties with your version.
Aware IM Support Team
Elmar

Post by Elmar »

Actually this is not enough. For example every application that has a focus on the European market needs to support at least 2 languages simultaneously.

Without having the possibility to abstract form labels and content into localized resources most business users will not even start evaluating awareim. Maybe that concept is hard to grasp for people living in the US, UK or Australia but it becoming more and more important in my recent projects.

Awareim needs to offer ways to abstract the front end language and to nake it switchable for the end user. At least that is what is most important for us here.
ab042

Post by ab042 »

I also believe that the ability to select the language is needed.

Would it be possible to select the language in the URL along with the domain before the Login page?

Just a thought.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Aware IM version 4.5 now fully supports internalization - all languages including dynamic switching between languages and choice of languages depending of user locale
Aware IM Support Team