GUID Function needed for REST POST endpoints

On this forum you can see a list of new features requested by users and you can also cast your own vote (you need to login to vote).
ACDC

GUID Function needed for REST POST endpoints

Post by ACDC »

When configuring a REST setup and utilizing the POST method to create a new entry, it's often necessary to provide a unique identifier in the target application. It would be highly beneficial to have a function that can generate a GUID specifically for this purpose. The AwareIM ID attribute may not suffice as it's not guaranteed to be unique. Hence, incorporating a GUID generation function into the AwareIM function lineup would be a logical solution.
joben

Re: GUID Function needed for REST POST endpoints

Post by joben »

This might help until such a function is implemented. It will create a random hexadecimal value, 32 characters long.

If Bo IS NEW Then
Bo.guid=TO_LOWER_CASE(MD5(GENERATE_PWD(8,15,2,2,2)))

Result:
34cadc59f6f83b775468ae1a91ad4380
Regards, Joakim

ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Thank you, this will work for me .

What are your thoughts about inserting a timestamp in the formula ?
joben

Post by joben »

I guess it depends on what you want to accomplish.
With the provided example you get:
  • Randomness
  • Low risk of collision
  • Correct bit length according to the standards
I always assumed typical guids were just randomly generated hexadecimal values like:
34cadc59f6f83b775468ae1a91ad4380
And to follow the standards they need this fancy separation:
34cadc59-f6f8-3b77-5468-ae1a91ad4380

But I just learnt that some of the standards do include non-random data like time and date.
So once again, it depends on what needs to be achieved. I don't have any experience with a case where the numbers matter as long as they are random and unique.
Regards, Joakim

hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Another option is using the Aware ENCRYPT_B64 function which can be used to encrypt/store in a string whatever data you want so identifier, timestamp and whatever else you want. I don´t know if the resulting string fits all API related calls and requirements but would think it does. I use this extensively and works very well for all kinds of things. The only thing I would ideally want is a "real" encryption instead of the B64 one and hoping support can add that at some point.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

In my case, I want to include the Object.ID as part of the remote GUID, so at any time I can backtrack where the transaction came from.
both seem to be good options, Thanks again