FR - Operations on All Attributes [Implemented on Peer Multiples v8.8]

On this forum you can see a list of new features requested by users and you can also cast your own vote (you need to login to vote).
PointsWell

FR - Operations on All Attributes [Implemented on Peer Multiples v8.8]

Post by PointsWell »

The last update added operations on peer single and owned by attributes. This is great because it allows for the adding of new references at the time that they are needed.

It also allows for the use of more complex lookups on reference data. However from a UX point of view this is confusing, because there is a drop down and a button to search for items.

To avoid confusion I avoid putting an editable field where there is a more involved lookup involved, i.e. the type that uses the lookup method above, and instead I use a short cut to the field. To do this I have to use an HTML button but this is not ideal.

If I have a simple lookup type where the operation is just to add another option to the drop down list I would use the operation on the combo box and it would look like this
Combo Box Operation Placement
Combo Box Operation Placement
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 17.50.41.png (6.03 KiB) Viewed 18297 times
The button is nice and tight next to the field it is related to.

If I have another field that has a more complex lookup that I only want the end user to use an operation to fill then I'd need to use an Button/Link to kick this off.

This creates a spacing issue. The operation is in a separate cell within the form layout and is formatted slightly differently (one is grey and the other is blue grey)
Button / Link placement v Combo Box Operation
Button / Link placement v Combo Box Operation
Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 17.53.53.png (11.13 KiB) Viewed 18297 times
I could set the Combo box to calculated instead of using the shortcut approach, however this again creates a UX issue as it places the drop down arrow in the combo box, despite the drop down arrow being disabled. The user is then presented with a field that does not act in the same way that other fields with drop downs.

The ability to place an operation next to all fields would make for more consistent placement of the operations and would clearly indicate that the operation is closely related (both in terms of placement and functionality) to the field it is beside.
Last edited by PointsWell on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PointsWell

Re: FR - Operations on All Attributes

Post by PointsWell »

Also there is inconsistency between references that are single versus references that are multiple.

You can place an operation next to a combo-box that is a single reference but not next to a multi-select multiple reference attribute.
hpl123

Re: FR - Operations on All Attributes

Post by hpl123 »

1+ for consistency and more options in this area.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
PointsWell

Re: FR - Operations on All Attributes [Implemented on Peer Multiples v8.8]

Post by PointsWell »

Partially Implemented in Build 3123 v8.8

Now applies to Peer Multiple attributes