"PROTECT object..." results in reference attribute issues

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
JonP

"PROTECT object..." results in reference attribute issues

Post by JonP »

If I PROTECT a BO (not READ PROTECT mind you), then when that BO is a reference attribute for another BO as a combo box, that combo box's selected value will not show and its list will be empty.

I suspect that PROTECT has issues with other components as well.

BTW, I hope when this is resolved, that the protected reference attribute value is selectable and not read-only. If I want that attribute to be read-only or invisible, I will create an attribute-focused protection rule for that BO. Otherwise PROTECT is useless for my purposes.
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
JonP

Re: "PROTECT object..." results in reference attribute issue

Post by JonP »

Update - This is affecting queries too...and as a twist, I have further proof of a different bug I reported earlier.

I have a BO called Entity. Certain users aren't allowed to see the BO and certain users aren't allowed to edit the BO. But users that are allowed to see, but not edit, are not able to see a query listing Entity because of the buggy PROTECT feature. This is my rule:

Code: Select all

If EXISTS LoggedInPerson AND LoggedInPerson.Architecture IN 'No Visiblilty','Survey Only' Then 
READ PROTECT Entity FROM ALL EXCEPT Administrator AND System
Else If LoggedInPerson.Architecture<>'Responsible (Full)' Then 
PROTECT Entity FROM ALL EXCEPT Administrator AND System
If I delete the "Else If" clause, those users who don't have Architecture IN 'No Visiblilty','Survey Only' (and are also not 'Responsible (Full)') can see the list again.

And here's the twist: If I just disable the rule with the "Else If" clause intact, the list still does not show. So the rule is being implemented even though it's disabled. 3 weeks ago I reported a ghost-effect that a disabled rule can create (https://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9908). This issue is more like a poltergeist. Until this is addressed, disabling should be considered unreliable.
v8.1 on Windows 10 / MySQL 5.6 (local), v8.1 on Windows Server 2016 / MySQL 5.6 (server)
JonP

Post by JonP »

I didn't notice that build 2361 came out yesterday, which exorcises the poltergeist so that disabling is now more usable (but not completely, since the ghost-effect I reported 3 weeks ago is still haunting AIM).

While that build does address some protection-related issues, the issues that PROTECT has with combo boxes and queries (and probably other controls) are also still present.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This seems to work fine for us. Could you please send the BSV for testing?
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Protection problems were caused by protection rules using the ELSE statement. This should now be fixed in build 2363
Aware IM Support Team
softserv

Post by softserv »

Hi Support,

We are noticing an issue with 'PROTECT' in build 2372 for reference object. Users were able to 'view' the protected reference object earlier but not now. The reference object in question is a 'Document Type' object. If a user had the required access levels (i.e., the user meets the set conditions), then he/she was able to open and view the document (no edit/delete). Now the reference object appears but clicking on it does not open it. It was working in V6 & V7. We have checked all change logs post BUILD 2372 but nothing related to PROTECT exists.

Please suggest whether this is a bug or not.
Team SoftServ

V8.3 2628 |V8.2 2574 |V8.1 2475 | V8.0 2372 | V7.1 2240 | V6.0 2042 | V5.9 1894
MS SQL Server | MySQL
AWS | Azure | Google Cloud

SoftServ - AwareIM
customaware

Post by customaware »

I am seeing some READ PROTECT issues also.
I have isolated to show Support at the Conference. Otherwise to hard to explain.
Cheers,
Mark
softserv

Post by softserv »

Hi Support team,

Any plan to fix it anytime sooner?
Team SoftServ

MS SQL Server | MySQL

SoftServ - AwareIM
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Please send us a BSV for testing and explain how to reproduce the problem in this BSV
Aware IM Support Team
softserv

Post by softserv »

Hi Support team - Please see the below link with a test bsv in it. Password to access the link is 'AwareIM'. We created this bsv on build 2358. It works fine. But when the same bsv is published in build 2372, it stops working.

http://softserv.in/owncloud/index.php/s/BunIHEG90DncOfw

1. Login as admin.
2. Search object 'Regular User' and edit the existing record.
3. Attach any document and check mark 'Doc View' = 'Yes' and then save.
4. Repeat Step #2 above.
5. Click on the attachment. It opens fine in build 2358 whilst not in build 2372.

Let us know how it goes.
Team SoftServ

MS SQL Server | MySQL

SoftServ - AwareIM
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Works fine for us in the latest build 2457
Aware IM Support Team