READ PROTECT - hiding values in queries.

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
weblike

READ PROTECT - hiding values in queries.

Post by weblike »

Hi,

Is that normal that READ PROTECT also hides values in queries. This function is not intended to be used in forms?

Is normal to hide a attribute in forms, but in queries we can exclude the column if we do not want it!
Cheers
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
BenHayat

Re: READ PROTECT - hiding values in queries.

Post by BenHayat »

It would be great for Aware to offer a new property called "Visible (y/n)" to any object attribute where at runtime we can set/get without depending on READ PROTECT to hide attributes.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

READ PROTECT applies to queries as well as forms.
Aware IM Support Team
4xjbh

Post by 4xjbh »

Out of curiosity what is the use case for not showing an attribute in a form and showing it in a query / grid / report or other?
Regards, James

AwareIM 7.1 on AWS - Beware I'm a AwareIM noob. Anything I help you with might make the hole your in deeper.
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Read Protect is used as a universal security mechanism to hide an attribute from a particular type of user. The fact that it is also used as a mechanism to hide an attribute on a form for the purpose of form layout and not necessarily security is probably your use case.

I believe there should be another mechanism to hide attributes on a form, using READ PROTECT in my mind is an overkill because all the rules on the object have to fire, not to mention query absence. Something that serves the purpose of form layout only and is ajax based and lightweight is needed
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote:Read Protect is used as a universal security mechanism to hide an attribute from a particular type of user. The fact that it is also used as a mechanism to hide an attribute on a form for the purpose of form layout and not necessarily security is probably your use case.

I believe there should be another mechanism to hide attributes on a form, using READ PROTECT in my mind is an overkill because all the rules on the object have to fire, not to mention query absence. Something that serves the purpose of form layout only and is ajax based and lightweight is needed
As I had said and all other platforms offer that, each attribute should also have a "Visible (y/n)" property that at runtime we can use to toggle it in forms and queries, rather than using READ-PROTECT.
Visible is mainly used for UI, but the actual data is available for the rules and filtering and etc. I have ha this request for 2 years... :(
weblike

Post by weblike »

Is v8 or V8.1 include such a feature ?
BenHayat wrote:
ACDC wrote:Read Protect is used as a universal security mechanism to hide an attribute from a particular type of user. The fact that it is also used as a mechanism to hide an attribute on a form for the purpose of form layout and not necessarily security is probably your use case.

As I had said and all other platforms offer that, each attribute should also have a "Visible (y/n)" property that at runtime we can use to toggle it in forms and queries, rather than using READ-PROTECT.
Visible is mainly used for UI, but the actual data is available for the rules and filtering and etc. I have ha this request for 2 years... :(
Thx,
George
BLOMASKY

What is wrong with Hide Option in Queries?

Post by BLOMASKY »

Each attribute in a query has the following 2 options: Hide column initially and Hide if condition so if unconditionally, just tick (see, I can say tick and sound like I am from Australia) the hide column initially or conditionally. I use this instead of READ PROTECT for a query.

Now, we can't easily do that with a form, too bad!

Bruce
weblike

Re: What is wrong with Hide Option in Queries?

Post by weblike »

BLOMASKY wrote:
Now, we can't easily do that with a form, too bad!

Bruce
Yes forms.
Thx,
George