Install problem on OSX 10.4.7 (client) with mySQL

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
ctnz

Install problem on OSX 10.4.7 (client) with mySQL

Post by ctnz »

Hi,

I have just downloaded the trial version (2.0) after a bit of reading on your site.

I had no problem setting the JVM back to 1.4 default and editing the mysql default root user login details as described in your installation pdf. However, one note I should make, if you talk about BIN directories to traditional mac users, it might pay to make a brief note that you are talking about the application directory (in mac speak, that is control click the application icon and select 'show package content'). It took me a few minutes of searching to realise which /bin directory you actually referred to. Normally you don't actually see the directory of the application package any other way (unless you use the command line all the time I guess).

Now to the real question, the mysql install I have here is 5.0.19 and is installed as a 'user install', means it lives in /usr/local/mysql .

I get the error of not being able to connect to the DB on startup of the AwareIM application. I can only assume there is a setting somewhere to correct this issue, and your default installer setup is configuring for a default system installed mysql? In this case, it would help to get a note in the installation instructions for users who install their own version of mysql, as the system included mysql version is usually fairly old.

It is fairly late in the evening here, and I may have overlooked something, but I look forward to getting this last setting sorted and getting to look at your software and it's capabilities.

Cheers
Chris
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

All integration issues with MySQL are described in the Installation Guide which is available on our web site or in the DOCS directory (yes, in Show Package Contents).

Basically MySQL settings are controlled in the BASServer.props file that is located in the BIN application directory.

Please have a look at the Installation Guide. If you still have problems please send the contents of the Aware IM Server output window to [email protected]. This may help us identify the problem.
Aware IM Support Team
ctnz

Post by ctnz »

Well, I can connect to the mysql server with any of the 3 configuration utilities (mySQL admin, Aqua Data Studio, CocoaMySQL) and have no problem using either the root login (with pw) or my 'user' I have setup with full privileges, which I normally use for connections from other applications like Lasso Server. I have a few screen snapshots here I will email to your support. But having said that, I have now tried the 4 different possible logins (also tested the IP allocated to this local machine instead of default localhost) and none worked. You haven't said in your reply if the mysql install has to be installed as root or can be a /usr/local/ install location...

Hmm, have to say though thet the speed of reply from you is somewhat impressive :)

Interesting to see what the problem may be.

Cheers
Chris
ctnz

Post by ctnz »

hm, just emailed your support and get this message...

This is the Postfix program at host cm-ms1.globat.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]>: permission denied. Command output: maildrop: authlib:
groupid=110
Reporting-MTA: dns; cm-ms1.globat.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 709FD7E02CE
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
Arrival-Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:35:20 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; permission denied. Command output: maildrop:
authlib: groupid=110

Date: 7 September 2006 9:35:06 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: installation problem of trial download OSX 10.4.7 (client)

I guess you can contact me through the email address I have here on the forums...

Chris
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Hi Chris,

sorry for the glitch on our e-mail server - we haven't received your e-mail. We sent you an e-mail with a request to re-send it.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The problem is that the "host" setting for your MySQL account does not allow connections from localhost. Please allow connections from localhost or from all servers to the account.

The following can be done in the mysql utility to allow connections from all servers to the root account:

use mysql;
UPDATE user SET host='%' WHERE User='root'
flush privileges
flush tables
Aware IM Support Team