Local AppData Temp Folder Filling up WIth images

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
RentProperty

Local AppData Temp Folder Filling up WIth images

Post by RentProperty »

Hi Support. We just spottet a huge problem... I'm aware of the Temp file Buildup under the Tomcat/AwareIM folder. However we noticed that our C: drive sace was quickly deminishing on our brand new servers.

The we located the problem. There were THOUSANDS of temp image files (Mostly email signatures) building up in the following directory:

C:/Users/Adminstrator/AppData/local/Temp/2

Any Idea What could be causing this and how to stop it? Is this something that we can clean without causing issues in the system?

Please respond a.s.a.p. We have 3GB left on our C drive and it'll probably be full by end of the day tomorrow.

Thank you so much!!!
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

You can delete them, though I do not know why they occur or how to stop it.
RentProperty

Post by RentProperty »

Thnx KKlosson

I see however now that the really big files are .txt files loolike some kind of log files.

DO you think I can delete them as well? The content also seems related to my application.

Support... Any Ideas what is casuing this?
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
kklosson

Post by kklosson »

Yes you can, You may also want to check logging options from the Settings button on the Control Panel. When set to the most verbose, they create very large files.
hpl123

Better solution

Post by hpl123 »

Different tempfiles etc. e.g. images, log files are scattered over multiple folders and support is aware of the problem (in 1 case it´s a BIG problem. I for example have temp files (images) in the several 10.000´s). Hopefully all of these temp etc. things can be planned/coordinated a bit better so either Aware IM automatically removes these or so we can remove then via rules (e.g. DELETE FILE to delete the special folder (s) with temp stuff but then al temp stuff would need to be placed in 1 folder without other system critical stuff).
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ab042

Re: Local AppData Temp Folder Filling up WIth images

Post by ab042 »

I know this is an old post but it is the exact issue we are having. Did anyone ever find a solution?

A ton (37 GIG) of LOG files as well as JPG files in the \user\admin\appdata\local\temp folder on windows.

We delete the JPG files without issue but had to down AwareIM to delete the LOG files as they were in use by AwareIM.

Based on the data in the files we believe IMPORT FROM XML function is related to the LOG files

Any suggestions?? THANKS.
ab042

Post by ab042 »

Bump...

Anyone have any suggestions, PLEASE.
4xjbh

Post by 4xjbh »

This may not help you but I would like a way to specify a different location for the temp file. I had a look though the props files to see if there was a way to put awares temp folder somewhere else, closer to the root folder but could not find one.

If your logging is set to minimal and these are caused by imports can't you automate an aware weekly / daily shutdown and move the files off to another drive or delete them?

for the images 'forefiles' a windows command line tool is good for deleting files older than x days...
Regards, James

AwareIM 7.1 on AWS - Beware I'm a AwareIM noob. Anything I help you with might make the hole your in deeper.
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

Yeah, this is a stupid problem and I have loads of manual work I need to do because of this. Support, please do something about this. Thanks
ab042

Post by ab042 »

It crazy at best to expect us to shutdown once a week to cleanup a directory that should be cleaning itself.

I have zero issue writing script to run and purge the files but AwareIM is holding the file open for some reason and we can't purge them without shutting down. I'm shocked the file open isn't causing memory leak issues or something.

SUPPORT: Any solution on this problem OR do you have a solution coming down the pipeline??

THANKS
ab042

Post by ab042 »

bump....

Any suggestions on this, please.
ALW

Post by ALW »

Was there any resolution to this issue? I am feeling the same pain...
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The latest build of Aware IM should no longer hold the lock on the files. So you can write a script to purge the directory.
Aware IM Support Team
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

WOW, never knew about this.
Just found 9000 objects in
C:\Users\user_001\AppData\Local\Temp

Most of them were that "Powered by Aware" default footer thats in an email. 3k in size
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
hpl123

Re: Better solution

Post by hpl123 »

hpl123 wrote: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 am Different tempfiles etc. e.g. images, log files are scattered over multiple folders and support is aware of the problem (in 1 case it´s a BIG problem. I for example have temp files (images) in the several 10.000´s). Hopefully all of these temp etc. things can be planned/coordinated a bit better so either Aware IM automatically removes these or so we can remove then via rules (e.g. DELETE FILE to delete the special folder (s) with temp stuff but then al temp stuff would need to be placed in 1 folder without other system critical stuff).
BUMP, still a problem. Any chance this will be solved in a future release? Just a simple thing as "placing" ALL temp image etc. files in 1 folder would help a lot. Currently I am using a PHP script every night that removes all image files and works BUT I am always a bit squeamish about having scripts do delete actions etc. in the main Aware folder (I have used this PHP script for years and works but the problem is I don´t know if Aware changes things all of a sudden and then my PHP script might delete something it shouldn´t wrecking my apps).