Aware IM Server port

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
adrianp

Aware IM Server port

Post by adrianp »

I was experimenting with different ports for the AwareIM Server so that we can acces it from behind the firewall. When I tried a port that I thought should work (port 5003) it seemed to be OK for the Configuration Tool within the server room but the web access gives an error back that a connection could not be made to the server.

I changed the port settings in the UIConfig.props and the BASServer.props. Is that the only place that the port number is set?

It looks like the web server part is still looking at the default port (port 9000) so cannot connect.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There are 3 property files that have the port setting (you have correctly located the first two):

1) BASServer.props
2) UIConfig.props
3) webapp.props file located in the AwareIM10/Tomcat/webapps/AwareIM directory.

So you need to change the setting in file no 3).

Also the UIConfig.props file is located not only on the server machine, but also on the machine of every client that runs the Configuration Tool and connects to the server remotely (the one on the server only controls the connection of the Configuration Tool to the server on the server machine). So you will need to change the UIConfig.props file on every client that runs the Configuration Tool
Aware IM Support Team
adrianp

Post by adrianp »

Thanks for that.

I changed the host port setting in "webapps.props" and the web interface is now working from everywhere.

But I still cannot get the Configuration Tool to connect from anywhere but the server machine.

I am running a firewall on the server but I have tried all connections with the firewall off and it makes no difference.

I have tried many different configurations both on the server and the client machines.

The error message that is displayed in Configuration Tool after login fails is below:

Error establishing connection with the server. ERROR: org.openadapter.adapter.jms.JMSSink – init failed with JMS Queue/Topic PublishException: org.openadapter.adapter.jms.PublishException: org.openadapter.jms.JMSPublisher – connect failed with NamingException:javax.naming.CommunicationException: Received timed out [Root exception is java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out]

This error, or something similar, is displayed when the Configuration Tool is run from any Linux machine other than the server machine.

I have checked that connection is possible by using telnet to connect to the server on the correct port (port 5003).

I have also tried to connect from a Windows machine and get a different error about "Server timeout."

I hope this info sheds some light on what is going wrong
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Can you check the line that starts with the "DirectoryServiceProvider" in the BASServer.props file located on the server machine. It should be something like:

DIrectoryServiceProvider=jnp://localhost:1099

It it indeed inlcudes "localhost", then please replace "localhost" with the name of the server machine, for example:

DirectoryServiceProvider=jnp://server.com:1099

This should fix the problem.
Aware IM Support Team