Import and special characters

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

So the question is about export - not import? What do you intend to with exported data and why do you need relationships information there? If you are going to change the data and re-import it back into the system, you do not need to re-import relationships as described earlier. Otherwise, there are alternatives to the export feature if you want to extract data from the system in a specific way.

Relationships are written into a separate file because a single exported instance may be related to several others, which are represented by separate entries in the relationship file.
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

My original question was on the import because I was unable to IMPORT and get the relationships. But after your post maybe if the EXPORT was changed then it would put the correct data in the CSV file and would solve the import relationship issue I originally raised.

[color=blue]->Your import file for Division could look like this:
Division.Name, Division.Description
"Marketing", "Some description for the division"

You import file for Customer could look like this:
Customer.Name, Customer.Division.Name
"John Brown", "Marketing" [/color]

I'm trying to take TWO files as in your example, with Division in the Customer file as an attribute to the Division file, just like you have and get AwareIM to export it and then re-import it into a new BO with the Division in-place.

A very basic backup routine if you will. AwareIM should be able to export to a CSV file and import the same CSV and get the database as it was without a user having to re-key data.

I believe if the user Doesn't Select "Export relationships" on the export and you simple place a column in the file with the VALUE of the relationship (not a link to it) this will create a file like you've shown and will solve the issue. The issue then becomes what fields from the related file do you need or want in the export file.

I'm just trying to get data out of the system in a CSV file and then imported back in without a user having to figure out how to recreate the broken links.

Of course I'm open to all suggestions and corrections.
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> I'm just trying to get data out of the system in a CSV file and then imported back in without a user having to figure out how to recreate the broken links.
As far as relationships are concerned, the export and import are not symmetrical, nor are they supposed to be. From the practical point of view, if you need to re-import existing data, you do not need to re-created relationships because they are preserved in the system (as discussed earlier).

As for backup, this can be done on the database level. The new "Export/import business space" feature will allow a backup on the business space level as well as moving business space data into a different database.
Aware IM Support Team