Installing Configuration Tool on desktop

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
ab042

Installing Configuration Tool on desktop

Post by ab042 »

I'm trying to install the Conf Tool on my desktop so I can do development on it and run the awareIM and the MySQL on the server.

I've got AwareIM and MySQL running and working on the server. Now I've downloaded the Configuration Only Tool from your site. I've run the installation and entered the correct IP address when it ask me where the server was running. (FYI: I've tryed this on two different machine and same problem)

I've searched and corrected everything I can find in the doc's and this site and I still can't get it to work.

Can someone provide a simple STEP by STEP guide to getting the configuration tools working on a machine other than the server?

A few notes and the issues with each:

When I first attempt to run the Conf Tool on my machine (Not the server) it appears to load fine. It brings up the Login and...

When I type the Business Space name: library with LOWER CASE. I get "Access is denied. Please enter vailid user name and password"

When I try the same thing with Upper case "L" (ie: Library). I get "Error establishing connection with the server. ERROR: org.openadaptor......

Any suggestions. I've tryed editing the different configuration files in the BIN directory and can't figure it out.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Correct spelling is "Library" in the upper case, so if you are having problems it means your connection with the server is not working. Step by step guide:

1. Open the file BASServer.props located in the BIN directory of your Aware IM installation ON YOUR SERVER and find the following line:
DirectoryServiceProvider=jnp://localhost:1099/
2. Replace "localhost" with the network name of your server, for example
DirectoryServiceProvider=jnp://myserver:1099/
3. Start Aware IM Control Panel on your server
4. Make sure that the IP address or network name that you specified when installing the Configuration Tool is correct. You can change that by modifyng the UIConfig.props file located in the BIN directory ON YOU CLIENT MACHINE. Change the settings of HostServer and WebServer properties in this file
5. Make sure there there is no firewall between the client machine and the server machine
6. Start the Configuration Tool on the client machine
7. Enter valid business space name and password (has to be "Library" if you use the library application).

Hope this helps.
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

I'm growing a little frusted by this process. I've worked on this for hours and its not this simple.

There are MsSQL issues that don't allow access via IP or other machines. I believe I've have this fixed now, but you say nothing about it.

And then stuff is noticable that may have nothing to do with anything but if you look at the BASserver.props file on the CLIENT (Not server) it shows Derby stuff in it.

Again maybe since this is a client setup its not a problem but your directions don't work and I'm growing more outraged by the moment of your error messages and/or lack of them because they give no clue as to the any usable user information.

Any other suggestions before I trash the idea of using AwareIM?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We apologize for the problems you are having with getting this to work. However, there are quite a few customers that we have who are happily using the remote Configuration Tool, so we are quite sure there must be some problem with your set up. We have also tested the remote Configuration Tool today here and everything seems to work fine.

One possible (and common) reason for these problems is firewall issues between the client and the server. There are quite a few ports that must be open for the Configuration Tool to access the server.

Could you please provide the full error message and also the contents of the console window?

There are MsSQL issues that don't allow access via IP or other machines. I believe I've have this fixed now, but you say nothing about it.
I am not sure which issues you mean here, but a number of issues related to MS SQL Server running in a mixed mode and having TCP/IP enabled are documented in the Installation Guide in the section "Troubleshooting MS SQL Server/MSDE database integration."

And then stuff is noticable that may have nothing to do with anything but if you look at the BASserver.props file on the CLIENT (Not server) it shows Derby stuff in it.
As you rightly point out this file is not used by the remote Configuration Tool

I'm growing more outraged by the moment of your error messages and/or lack of them because they give no clue as to the any usable user information.
We understand your frustration (especially having spent a few hours on this). We try to use informative messages wherever possible, but in some cases this is very very difficult.
Aware IM Support Team
ab042

Post by ab042 »

This is working now. I uninstalled and reinstalled both Server and Client machine and redid the setup.

I believe it was the same as I had but something must have been different?

Its working now and I THANK YOU your great responses and support on these forums. It is very helpful to someone taking the time to learning your product.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Not a problem. Great that it's working now.
Aware IM Support Team