Text fiel linked to object not working correctly

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
khaled

Text fiel linked to object not working correctly

Post by khaled »

Hi,

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if this is a bug with AwareIM but either way I wait in anticipation for a fix from more experienced users.

I have created an Attribute in one Business Object and set the Type to another Business Object - the desired effect I wanted is to be able to begin typing something and the Attribute would automatically search the database and display a dynamic drop down list for me to choose from.

I did this successfully in another business object and the feature was correct but this time when I start typing I can't see any data being dropped down to choose from - but when I hit the space bar I get 'null null null null' and some other gibberish. I know the 'nulls' are due to not adding data into some fields into the business object im searching from, but as I mentioned I was able to make it work in another business object.

Could it be because the business object I got it to work on is fetching the data from the same business object as the object I can't get to work?

I don't know if I made any sense but I have tried to explain as simply as I could - Here is an example of the above:

My 3 objects are:
Quotes
Invoices
Contractors

My Quotes object consists of 7 Attributes, being Quote Number, Amount etc..but my problem is with the Company attribute - this attribute's type is set to Contractors and the visual element is displayed as Drop Down. This is where I am having the trouble - When I type in a Contractor's business name I get nothing, but when I hit space I get null null null..

My Invoices Object is the same layout as Quotes object, and the Company attribute's type is set to Contractors and visual element is displayed as Drop Down. I have no problems using this field.

Here's what I've tried doing: I initially assumed the Quotes object is corrupt so I deleted it and made it from scratch..when that didn't work I assumed the Contractors object became corrupt so I deleted that and made it from scratch - when that didn't work I just backed up my app and uninstalled AwareIM completely then imported my app - when that didn't work I thought it may be a problem with the database (Derby) so I uninstalled AwareIM again and chose MySQL - that didn't fix it.

My question is: Why is the Quotes object being a pain in the backside?

Can I upload my app (35kb) for someone to look at, if it's not too much to ask?

Any help is appreciated and thanked in advance.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In the presentation dialog of the attribute that you want to display as a drop down you need to tick the checkboxes of the attribute(s) that you want displayed in the drop down. Have you done this? If it is a drop down you usually just need to tick one attribute - for example, the name of the contractor.
Aware IM Support Team
khaled

Post by khaled »

aware_support wrote:In the presentation dialog of the attribute that you want to display as a drop down you need to tick the checkboxes of the attribute(s) that you want displayed in the drop down. Have you done this? If it is a drop down you usually just need to tick one attribute - for example, the name of the contractor.
Thanks for your reply. I have already done that but am still getting the problem. I've attached a screenshot incase I am doing something wrong.

also, I just noticed something else - when I right click my business space and hit test, I am prompted with the usual "Business space has changed would you like to save" and I hit yes. All the text will them turn to pink representing Test Mode. When I go back and right click the business space and click on Lock for Editing, the text becomes Green but shouldn't the text be blue to represent no changes have been made and business space has been saved or is that normal?

tford

Post by tford »

khaled,

This look OK from your screen shot.

You have mentioned corrupted data. Have you tried going into test mode & starting from a clean slate of data. This may help you verify whether you have a data corruption issue of some kind or an application issue.

Tom
khaled

Post by khaled »

tford wrote:khaled,

You have mentioned corrupted data. Have you tried going into test mode & starting from a clean slate of data. This may help you verify whether you have a data corruption issue of some kind or an application issue.

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yes I have tried that and still same thing is happening. I did some further testing - I added another drop down menu and set the type to another business object but I get the same thing...
tford

Post by tford »

What build are you running?
khaled

Post by khaled »

khaled wrote:
tford wrote:khaled,

Tom
Hi Tom,

Yes I have tried that and still same thing is happening. I did some further testing - I added another drop down menu and set the type to another business object but I get the same thing...
Sorry for double post but I coldn't find the edit button - I also added a whole new business object and had 1 field point towards Contractors and 1 point to Invoices - both of them did the same thing. I am thinking something to do with AwareIM...
rolfb

Post by rolfb »

I am experiencing the same problem.... build 1162. Also tried with frseh test data but the problem is still there.

It seems that aware is not 'finding' any data as you type, because the 'loading' box comes up for less than a second and then nothing

regards

Rolf
khaled

Post by khaled »

rolfb wrote:I am experiencing the same problem.... build 1162. Also tried with frseh test data but the problem is still there.

It seems that aware is not 'finding' any data as you type, because the 'loading' box comes up for less than a second and then nothing

regards

Rolf
Try clicking space bar in the text field and see if you get the same gibberish I get
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

We have retested this again and everything appears to be working OK. So if you are sure of the problem please send us your BSV file and explain how to reproduce the problem
Aware IM Support Team
khaled

Post by khaled »

BSV sent to [email protected]
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The configuration has NO attributes ticked as "displayed". Like we said you MUST tick at least one attribute that you want to show in the drop down
Aware IM Support Team
khaled

Post by khaled »

aware_support wrote:The configuration has NO attributes ticked as "displayed". Like we said you MUST tick at least one attribute that you want to show in the drop down
I did that as per my image I attached in my previous post. I just didn't save before I exported...
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

We marked the Company Name attribute as Displayed and everything worked fine.

Please keep in mind that you can specify presentation properties for an attribute in two places: in the attribute list for the object (used on all forms by default) and within a particular form where the attribute is displayed (overrides the default if defined).

In your configuration the presentation properties for attribute Company in the form (defined as dropdown) override the default properties (defined as table of items). Therefore you need to mark Company Name as displayed in presentation properties for attribute Company WITHIN THE FORM. This is what we did and it worked fine.
Aware IM Support Team
khaled

Post by khaled »

Thank you for all your help it is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I am still having the same problem. Did you try my app before making the changes and did it do the same thing as I explained?