Reference Element setttings 'Add Item' wont filter

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
wings

Reference Element setttings 'Add Item' wont filter

Post by wings »

Hi

I'm struggleing trying to get the Attributes, Presentation (Reference Element form) 'Add Item' to allow the user to filter the selection.

If you click the 'Settings' button you are given a number of choices the first being 'Filter selection list' which allow you to apply a custom query. If I set this query to say:

Description contains Ask at Runtime

It dosn't pop-up anything for the user to enter instead displaying all records in the table (in my case severl thousand)

Should I be able to do this?? We need to be able to allow the user to select an existing record and if not found then add a new record.

Thanks

wings
tford

Post by tford »

We need to be able to allow the user to select an existing record and if not found then add a new record
I don't think you will be able to do this in a one step process, but consider:

1- In your "Settings", select "Show filter field" with attribute Description. The filter would serve the same function as your 'ask at runtime'.

2- Users would then:
a- Click "Add" and search for existing instance of reference BO using Description filter.
b- If they don't find it, click "Cancel" then "Add New".

Tom
wings

Post by wings »

Thanks Tom

That now gives me a fileter field at the top of the form. It would be good to enable the user to enter some criteria as the list find everything first and I can see this taking some time as the table grows 100,000+ rows overtime.

Is there a way to limit the list to say 10 rows rather than 20 as it displays off the screen and you have to move it each time to get to the buttons on the form.

Thanks in advance
tford

Post by tford »

wings,
Is there a way to limit the list to say 10 rows rather than 20
On the Reference element screen, you will see Show ___ items.
as the list find everything first
No, AwareIM will only go out and get each page at a time.

Tom
wings

Post by wings »

HI Tom

I have the show items set to 3 which from what I understand control the number of items shown on the form not the 'Add New' list that pops up
tford

Post by tford »

wings,

I'm confused. Is it the behavior of the 'Add New' button that you are asking about now? What are you trying to accomplish with it?

Tom
wings

Post by wings »

Hi Tom

No its the 'Add' (Add one or more of the existinng <BO>)

When selected the form autofinds everything in the BO and displays 20 rows. As the form runs off the screen you have to drag it up to see the buttons at the bottom. I can't find a way to limit the number of rows displayed.
tford

Post by tford »

wings,

It looks like right now if you specify "show filter field", there is no way to control the number of items that appears on the page.

If you specify "Filter Selection List | Existing Query", you can control the number of items that appear on the list per page, but you can not have a filter field appear.

Tom
wings

Post by wings »

Thanks Tom

I create a query and use that to limit the number of rows displayed to 10 and the fileter field also appears.

It's a shame though that it dosn't use the where clause as I have defined 2 ask-at-runtime fields, instead I get 1-10 of 42900 rows returned

thanks for your help Tom
tford

Post by tford »

wings,
It's a shame though that it doesn't use the where clause as I have defined 2 ask-at-runtime fields, instead I get 1-10 of 42900 rows returned
It DOES in fact use the where clause... it just does not use the ask-at-runtime feature of the where clause.

I also did not realize until this thread that when specifying Settings for the "Generate 'Add Item' button", you can select BOTH 'Filter selection list" AND 'Show filter field'. AwareIM will use the query specs (except any filter specified in the query) AND use the filter specified in the Add References dialog.

Tom