SystemSettings issues

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
tkilshaw

SystemSettings issues

Post by tkilshaw »

I have a process whose only rule is:

EDIT SystemSettings USING 'Contact Or Company'

THis cause a list of SystemSettings to be displayed from which the user needs to pick the only SystemSettings instance that is displayed.

After that my 'Contact Or Company' form is displayed.

If I use:

FIND ALL SystemSettings TAKE BEST 1
EDIT SystemSettings USING 'Contact Or Company'

The list of SystemSettings is still displayed!

Neither of these behaviours make sense to me.

Terry
greg

Post by greg »

Terry,

Can't answer your question about sense, but I had a similar problem recently and I used this process to solve it:

rule1: PICK FROM 'query name' NO CONFIRMATION FOR ONE
rule2: EDIT BusinessObject USING YourForm

greg
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

We have tested both of the described processes using build 763. We have also tested a variation of the processes using VIEW instead of EDIT (action VIEW is generally more preferable than EDIT in processes like these since it does not wait until the user updates the object and therefore allows the process to finish immediately after displaying the form).

On all 4 occasions the correct form for SystemSettings was displayed and the list of one item never appeared. Could you, please, send us the configuration where you see this behavior so we can try to reproduce it.

Also keep in mind that you can add a menu item of type System Settings to let the users see the SystemSettings without having to add a process. SystemSettings will be displayed using the form nominated for object editing on the form property dialog.
Aware IM Support Team
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

I have sent my code to you by email.

I could use a bit more explanation of Edit versus View. I don't quite grasp the differences and when it is preferable to use one rather than the other.

Terry
tkilshaw

Post by tkilshaw »

So I tried using View instead of Enter. The problem persisted.

I tried using:

PICK FROM ALL SystemSettings NO CONFIRMATION FOR ONE
VIEW SystemSettings USING 'Contact Or Company'

And the problem still persists! It still brings up a list of SystemSettings with one item in it!

Terry
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

Terry,

1) The problem happens because the process has SystemSettings as its input object. When starting a process the system first makes sure there is an input object available in the context and if none is found it automatically displays a list for the user to choose one. However, SystemSettings is a special object in that it is always accessible to the system and does not need to be placed into the context. So if you remove SystemSettings from the input objects for the process the problem will go away.

2) The difference between the VIEW and EDIT actions is that the process in which the VIEW action has been called does not wait for the user to change the values of the object and continues execution immediately after displaying the form. If displaying an object is the last rule in a process it is preferable to use VIEW so the process can finish right after displaying the form. If, on the other hand, you need to ensure the user makes some changes (or otherwise confirms existing attribute values of an object) before continuing the processing, then use EDIT action.
Aware IM Support Team