JBOSS will not start

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
daz

JBOSS will not start

Post by daz »

Operating environment: SUSE Linux 10
I did a system update to install all the lates patches. Rebooted the system. And now when I try to start AwareIM, it fails as JBOSS will not start. I get the message that I need to unblock a list of ports. The list of ports is unblocked as it worked before. I have even turned off the firewall and still get the same results. When I try to VIEW the output for JBOSS from the Controll Panel, the output window is empty. What do I need to do to get my system up and running again?
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Could you please do the following:
1) Delete all files in AwareIMRoot/JBoss/server/bas/temp directory (you can delete the entire directory)
2) Re-start Aware IM
3) If this doesn't help start JBoss from the command line before starting Aware IM (Aware IM will not start JBoss if it is running already). To start JBoss from the command line change to the BIN directory of Aware IM
installation and run the following command:
../JDK/java -Djboss.home.dir=../JBoss -classpath ../JDK/lib/tools.jar:../JBoss/bin/run.jar org.jboss.Main -c bas

Then send the output of this command to [email protected] - this may help us identify the problem.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

JBoss cannot start because some of the ports it requires are used by other applications. Unfortunately it does not say which ports are used, but I suspect these are either or all of the following ports:

8083, 1099, 4444

There are several possibilities:
1) There is another copy of JBoss running on your system and using the above ports
2) The ports are used by some other application
3) The ports are blocked by a firewall or similar application

So what can you do?
1) Before running Aware IM check which ports are used on your system. I'm not familiar with SUSE Linux but there must be some utility that shows which ports are used by which application when you find out make sure that you resolve the conflicts.
2) Turn off the firewall software if you have one if the first step doesn't help

Alternatively you can re-configure JBoss used by Aware IM to use different ports. To do this go to the jboss-service.xml file located in the AwareIMRoot/JBoss/server/bas/conf folder, open it with any text editor and search for "port". You will find 8083, 1099 and 4444. Change these ports to some other numbers not used on your system. If you change port 1099 make sure you also change BASServer.props file located in the BIN directory under Aware IM (search for 1099 and replace it).

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
czillman

Similar With Windows 2k Issue Port 1099

Post by czillman »

I just upgraded some software on my W2k server and now seem to have the same issue with JBOSS. I am running

Spybot Search & Destroy
Microsoft AntiSpyware
Virusscan 8.0

All updated with the latest patches. It seems as if one of these updates might have blocked 1099.
andre

JBoss not starting due to HP Toolbox

Post by andre »

After battling for a day or two to get the evaluation copy running the very efficient guys at support pointed to a possible clash on port 8005. This was indeed used by HP printer toolbox.

Downloaded "Active Ports" from Tucows.com found the culprit and terminated the app.

Thought this might help other as well.

Regards