White screen after deployment on server

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
aanders1977

White screen after deployment on server

Post by aanders1977 »

I bought a Linux VPS where I have installed AwareIM. I put my .bsv under the Tomcat/AUTO_DEPLOYMENT directory, and started the server.

Afterwards I go to http://ip.ip.ip.ip:8080/awareim/logon.jsp and expect to see the login screen. But the web page is all white, and nothing comes up. Not even an error message.

I am pretty sure that AwareIM has found my .bsv, because I could see that it had been copied into the bin directory. What is wrong now?

I'm beginning to dislike Linux already - after 3 hours ;)

Anders,
Norway
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You need to check out the following:

1. Make sure Aware IM is running properly (Aware IM system active and functional is displayed)
2. Check the output of the Aware IM server and Tomcat for any suspicious error messages
3. Check that Tomcat is handling requests on port 8080 by accessing the following URL http://ipaddress:8080

If you do not see the Tomcat welcome message it means that port 8080 is most likely inaccessible. This is the most common cause of such problems when installing on remote hosts. You need to either make the port accessible on the VPS or configure Tomcat to use the standard port 80 (which is most likely accessible).
Aware IM Support Team
aanders1977

Problem solved - but new problem occured

Post by aanders1977 »

There was a simple solution to my initial question. It seems that the url is case sensitive. When I spelled "awareim" as "AwareIM" in the url, I got to the login screen.

Now I can't get past login, as I get "Invalid credentials or access denied" when entering the default "admin" and "password".

Yesterday I noticed that my .bsv was copied from /Tomcat/AUTO_DEPLOYMENT to the /bin directory after restarting the AwareIMserver (using "sh serverShutter.sh" and then "sh startAwareIMNoGUI.sh") I was not able to get to the login screen at that time, so I deleted the .bsv and tried to do the same thing again. This time it is not being copied to /bin.

Also, when reading the system.log the following error message has been repeated every time I've tried to log in:

Code: Select all

2007-05-17 09:17:13,174 ERROR  -Unable to login due to system error
com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionException: Internal error. Business space BJ_specification is not found
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.n.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.executionengine.ExecutionEngine.executeQuery(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.session.SessionManager.login(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.channels.ChannelManager.handleSocketLoginRequest(Unknown Source)
	at com.bas.basserver.bsmanager.j.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[/code]
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

The error says what's wrong - you are using BJ_specification business space and it is not found. The name of the business space created during auto deployment is the same as the name of the business space when the BSV was exported. So you need to verify the correct name of the business space.
Aware IM Support Team
tford

Post by tford »

aanders1977,

When I was trying to put together my first bsv online, I struggled with the proper/easiest steps also. It's all in the User Guide, but here is a summary of how I did it. It this too elementary for you, just ignore it.

On your server:
1- Start Configuration Tool
2- Create new Business Space & make no changes to it -- just save it as is
3- Publish the new Business Space
4- Login to new Business Space using the Business Space name from #2.

Using this approach, you are not transferring anything over to the server "manually".

Once this is successful, then you don't even have to transfer your bsv from your local machine over to your server. You can do it through the AwareIM bsv menu you logged into:

1- Click on Standard
2- Click on Upload Version
3- DONE -- simply Login to new site & your bsv should be operational.

No FTP was ever needed & your let AwareIM handle all the mechanics of where to store bsv info, etc.

Hope this helps,
Tom
greg

Post by greg »

I have also found that "let AwareIM do it" is the best approach on a remote server. As Tom suggested, you first create a default business space, then login in to it with default admin and password. From there you can go to the Business Space Management and either Publish Version or Create New Business Space, then login to it and Publish a Version. Fast and easy.
tford

Post by tford »

Actually the real credit goes to pbrad (Pete) who shared this with me the other day :D

Glad it helped! It sure is a great feature of AwareIM!

Tom
aanders1977

It works!

Post by aanders1977 »

Your approach works great. Thank you very much!

Anders