Problem with TOMCAT stopping

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
denisv

Problem with TOMCAT stopping

Post by denisv »

Has anyone had problems with TOMCAT just stopping. I see many references to it on the web but manily for Lynux. I am running on WinServer2000.

Sometimes the AWARE app just crawls and then can't be used. Recently no-one could log in. Restarting TOMCAT seemed to clear temporarily.

The log file refers to timeout references and max threads reached. Timeout setting for Aware/Tomcat and Jboss are one hour.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

You need to perform a careful analysis of the logs when something like this happens - the most likely reason is the system running out of resources. This does not have to be Tomcat - both Tomcat and JBoss are VERY reliable. And it does not have to be an Aware IM problem either - you may need to allocate more resources, for example memory.
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

In this particular instance the problem (as suspected) was not enough memory allocated for the Aware IM server. Nothing to do with Tomcat.
Aware IM Support Team
denisv

Post by denisv »

Current Settings:

BASSERVER.PROPS SessionTimeout 7200000, UIProcessTimeout 1800000
AWAREIM.config wrapper.java.maxmemory = 150
jbos.config wrapper.java.maxmemory=150
tomcat.config wrapper.java.maxmemory=150
webapps.props Sessiontimeout=1800

Memory for all three now increased to 300 to see impact.
denisv

Post by denisv »

After running the app for a full business day at 300Mb for Aware, JBoss and Tomcat, the three services are running at:

153mb, 58mb and 40mb

I stopped Aware and the service at 58mb stopped
Stopping JBOSS stopped the service at 40mb
Finally stopping Tomcat stopped the 153mb service

I am trying to determine what are the corrcet settings for this site. This would appear to indicate that Tomcat was at least 3MB short when using 150 as before today, but the other two perhaps do not need as much as 300.

Is this a fair assumption and could I change settings to something like:

Tomcat: 200mb
Aware: 100mb
Jboss: 100mb
aware_admin
Site Admin

Post by aware_admin »

It is hard to predict how much memory your particular application needs. The general guidelines are:

1) Aware IM Server needs more memory if your application is large and handles complex tasks
2) Tomcat needs more memory if you have many concurrent users
3) JBoss usually does not need a lot of memory unless you exchange large chunks of data between the server and the client (for example, large images etc)

So in your case you just need to experiment and find out to an optimal set of values.