Add new item button for drop down attributes

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
baskosi

Add new item button for drop down attributes

Post by baskosi »

Hi,

1. I have BO Company that has an attribute OfficialAddres of type Address.
2. Presentation of OfficialAddress uses 'Table of items' with 'Use form for each row' and 'Allow inline editing'.
3. BO Address has an attribute PostCode of type PostCode.
4. Presentation of PostCode uses 'Drop down' with option to 'Generate Add New Item button'.

A: When creating Address BO directly, Add New Item button is displayed for attribute PostCode.
B: When creating Company BO, Add New Item button is not displayed for attribute PostCode.

I've tested it on Firefox 2.0.0.1 and IE 7.0.5730.11.

Is what happens under B planned behaviour or a bug?
Borut
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

This is planned behaviour - a minor limitation actually.
Aware IM Support Team
baskosi

Post by baskosi »

I like the possibility to embed other BOs. In my case this means rules for address handling would be all in one place. And if I need one address per BO or many addresses I can use the same Address BO.

Will this limitation stay for good? I would need it in 2-3 months.

If it stays I was thinking about adding a hyperlink to add a PostCode. I found an example in http://www.awareim.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1216. I created a process that calls CREATE NEW PostCode. It opens a form to create a PostCode however after creating it there is no BACK button (I get "Operation successful" message). If I click browser's back button twice I get to the original form but PostCode drop down isn't populated until I refresh the form.

Solution with hyperlink would be too much for regular user to handle :? If limitation stays I'll have to create individual address attributes instead of embedding Address BO :cry:
Borut
aware_support2

Post by aware_support2 »

> ... If limitation stays I'll have to create individual address attributes instead of embedding Address BO
This may be a good idea, actually. If you move the attributes to real business objects representing people or companies they may look better on object forms and easier to handle as they will be an integral part of the object. Yes, you will need to repeat the address-specific rules on each business object, but you can get the system to do it for you. For example, if you have objects Customer and Staff, you can create an object group Person with members Customer and Staff. Then, when adding a rule to Customer, instead of writing it like this:

If Customer.PostCode IS UNDEFINED Then DoSomething

You can write the rule like this:

If Person.PostCode IS UNDEFINED Then DoSomething

In other words, you can use the group name when adding object rules. The benefit is that the system will give you an option to automatically add rules to other member-objects in a group when you add a rule to one object. Furthermore, since the rules attached to different objects will be identical, when you make a change to such a rule later on the system will ask you whether to automatically change the rule on other member-objects.

Unlike traditional programming, in Aware IM this is a preferred way of handling attributes/rules that are identical for several objects, but cannot be extracted into a separate object because the new object would exist for technical rather than business reasons.

With object groups you can do some other cool things like using them in queries, for example to find all people (whether customers or staff) who live in a particular town, etc.
Aware IM Support Team