Configurator - memory leaks,

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
ACDC

Configurator - memory leaks,

Post by ACDC »

It's not fun when you have spent the morning making changes to your app and then suddenly the configurator bombs out as a result of an inherent memory leak that has prevailed for some time.

This results in all your work being lost even though you have been pressing the save button at every corner. The only way to prevent a loss of work is to put it under the test, this is the only way of securing your work. So don't be fooled by the current save button, its a false sense of security

Memory leaks of this nature should be resolved, the configurator reports numerous errors from time to time moving between forms setting up choices adding rows to choices etc etc . While they don't always lead to the configurator hanging, it is an indication of something lurking in the background.

If you have a large visual perspective with numerous menu items and proceed to make changes moving between items back and forth eventually you will get a java stack overflow error, and then you done, prepare to start all over. This is the one area that almost always leads to a memory leak error.
Last edited by ACDC on Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BobK

Re: Configurator - memoy leaks,

Post by BobK »

ACDC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 pmThe only way to prevent a loss of work is to put it under the test, this is the only way of securing your work.
NOT true. After saving do an UPDATE!

From the User Guide:
Updating Business Space Version
Any changes to a business space version have to be saved to the Aware IM server. If
you do not update the version data on the server your configuration changes will be lost
when you close the Configuration Tool (unless you export the version to a file and then
import it back next time you start the Configuration Tool – see Exporting Business Space
Version and Importing Business Space Version).
To update the version:
1. Click on the version you want to update in the Elements Tree to select it
2. Select “Version/Update” in the menu or right click to bring up the pop-up menu and
select “Update”.
Ctrl + U will also perform an update.

Even after a small change, I SAVE and UPDATE.

ACDC wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:46 pm Memory leaks of this nature should be resolved,
TOTALLY true
Bob
ACDC

Re: Configurator - memory leaks,

Post by ACDC »

Even after a small change, I SAVE and UPDATE.
Yes, I have worked that out, once bitten ..how does that saying go about being bitten by a Dog.

Wishlist: one single save button, a really big one in the middle of all the editing panels (along side the FIND button), this way I can just hit the button at every corner.

Transitioning to the new UI from 7.1 has been a challenge for me, all this extra saving so you don't lose things is getting to me, its backward
From the User Guide:
aahh yes, the user guide, why didn't I see that :shock:
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

There are no memory leaks in Aware IM that we are aware of.
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Code: Select all

There are no memory leaks in Aware IM that we are aware of.
Not True

If you go to the CRM sample and move menu items around, you eventually get this error, which looks like a memory leak :shock:
This will force a reboot of the system losing all your changes, unless of course you save after every minute change you make.
Attachments
memoy Leak.jpg
memoy Leak.jpg (140.76 KiB) Viewed 67321 times
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

What specifically do you do when you "move menu items around"? Please describe in detail which buttons you press.
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

What specifically do you do when you "move menu items around"? Please describe in detail which buttons you press.
Simply go to the menu and reconfigure the menu items by dragging and dropping menu items into a new position, also deleting some

I purposely did this to see if I could repeat the error, it took about 10 reposition moves and one or two delete actions - that's all
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Thanks, this is not a memory leak - just a regular bug
Aware IM Support Team
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

aware_support wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 am Thanks, this is not a memory leak - just a regular bug
This problem still persists
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

A video of this "bug" in action would help.
The only time I lose changes is after a version update and I forget to change memory allocations.
If Config tool is loaded using defaults, then on serious work it will crap out eventually.
Then i curse and adjust memory allocation, but this hasn't happened in a long time as I'm used to checking this.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
gernotlg

Post by gernotlg »

Yep. It would be REALLY good, if SAVE... SAVED.

Bugs.. they happen.. but Save should f'n Save. Period.
V8.8 / Windows / MySQL
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Bugs.. they happen.. but Save should f'n Save. Period.
I feel your pain, been there many times :cry: :cry:

The only save button I use is this one (its a tiny button you have to look for it,why it can't be bigger and more visible in the center i'll never know)
Attachments
save.jpg
save.jpg (16.05 KiB) Viewed 54964 times
Jaymer

Post by Jaymer »

ACDC wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:09 pm The only save button I use is this one
hmmm.
I NEVER use that one.
Other than using Ctrl-S to save an individual screen/process/query, I always use ALT-Q to save the BSV.
That "Update version dialog" would drive me crazy.
I don't ever have Config tool crashes, except as I said earlier in the thread after an update if I didn't update memory settings.
Click Here to see a collection of my tips & hacks on this forum. Or search for "JaymerTip" in the search bar at the top.

Jaymer
Aware Programming & Consulting - Tampa FL
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

I don't ever have Config tool crashes, except as I said earlier in the thread after an update if I didn't update memory settings.
If you go to the CRM example and make changes to the menu layout in the Visual Perspective by dropping and dragging and inserting new items you WILL get an error. (last time I checked it took 8 changes and the error appeared.) This will necessitate a reboot of the Configurator which will result in you loosing your changes Saved.
gernotlg

Post by gernotlg »

Why can't CTRL-S ... The Universal Save Shortcut... just do it's job ??

1 job.
V8.8 / Windows / MySQL