No Luck With Eval Software

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
JWS

No Luck With Eval Software

Post by JWS »

I downloaded the evaluation software, along with mysql 5.0. I installed both, and changed my root password as needed in the BASServer.props file in the bin directory. I get through the activation of JBoss and Tomcat ok, but when it gets to the Aware IM Server it gives the error:
Aware IM was unable to create or locate the databases it requires. Please check that your database software is running.
Mysql is running and I have no firewall software running. Any ideas. This is running on a Windows XP with SP2. I installed, deinstalled, and re-installed both awareim, and mysql 5.0. No change. Need suggestions please. Thanks
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

First of all please make sure that your MySQL is running properly. The quickest way to do it is to run mysql utility. You can run it from the Startup menu or from BIN directory of MySQL installation. If mysql utility connects to the MySQL server and displays its prompt then MySQL is working fine. If this is the case please print out the contents of the Aware IM Server output window and send it to [email protected].

I am pretty sure either your MySQL is not working or you did not specify your credentials correctly in BASServer.props file (you need to make sure that the account of the root user is exactly the same as you specify in BASServer.props file. In MySQL the account consists of the server name, user name and password!)
Aware IM Support Team
JWS

Post by JWS »

I sent you an email with whatever information I thought might help to pinpoint the problem here. Mysql seems to be running fine. Maybe is has something to do with the BASServer.props file, but I set it up just as described in the installation manual. This software looks very interesting, and hopefully, will be what I'm looking for in a database front end. Just need to get the eval. working. Thanks...
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It appears to be a MySQL 5.0 issue that prevents Aware IM from authenticating for any admin. user other than the user with the user name "root" and no password.

Please create such a user and modify the BASServer.props file located in the BIN directory of Aware IM installation to have the following lines:

DriverURL=jdbc:mysql://localhost/BASDB?user=root
DriverTestURL=jdbc:mysql://localhost/BASDBTEST?user=root
BootstrapURL=jdbc:mysql://localhost/?user=root
Aware IM Support Team
JWS

Post by JWS »

Wow...what service from the Aware IM guys, and on the weekend, no less!
Looks like a little bug with using a password with the root user in MySQL. I set up a new user with all access, and no password, changed the BASServer.props file to reflect this, and viola...worked like a charm. Special thanks to Vladimir for all his help this weekend. Looks like this software is going to be what I was looking for in a MySQL front end.
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

It turned out that there was an incompatibility problem between the new version of MySQL and the old MySQL driver that Aware IM used. We have now updated the driver to the latest version supplied by MySQL and everything worked fine.

Starting from build 740 Aware IM fully supports passwords in MySQL 5.0
Aware IM Support Team