EXEC_STRING and FIND

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
UnionSystems

EXEC_STRING and FIND

Post by UnionSystems »

The new EXEC_STRING Action, the action that creates actions, is a very powerful new feature in AwareIM but I think I may have found a small issue with it.

I have used it to build a facility for my users to assemble there own FINDs and save those for future use. But I discovered it would not work if the FIND found more than 1,000 records. I resolved this by adding a silly large IN BATCHES OF to the FIND and then it would work.

So

Code: Select all

FIND ALL Object

would fail (if more than 1,000 records were found) but by adding a silly large BATCHES OF 100 million

Code: Select all

FIND ALL Object  IN BATCHES OF 1000000
and then it works.

I imagine that an actual found batch of 1 million might cause some server grief but I've got it happily working selecting 30k records.
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
customaware

Re: EXEC_STRING and FIND

Post by customaware »

That's good to know Dave.

Have bumped into the limit of returning only the first 1,000 records before.
Cheers,
Mark
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

For me it returns nothing when it hits the 1,000 limit. Not even 1,000.
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
tford

Post by tford »

Really appreciate you taking the time to share both items .. the tool that you've built for user FINDS as well as the limit / work around.

Both are tucked in the back of my mind for future use.

As I reflect back on this forum 10+ years ago when I started using AwareIM, there was very little form activity. Great to see strong sharing now by users from all over the world in productive ways.
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

First of all this has nothing to do with EXEC_STRING - the limitation of 1000 records is a limitation of the FIND action. You can use the workaround, but remember that all the found records will be placed in memory and it can severely degrade performance of the system (especially when there are multiple concurrent users). Finding 30K records is rarely a good idea.
Aware IM Support Team