Too many versions

If you think that something doesn't work in Aware IM post your message here
ColinP

Too many versions

Post by ColinP »

I just published v 1.6. I then created a new minor version - but got an error message. Tried it again - my heart racing - still an error. Turned everything off and rebooted the server and tried again. Fabulous - it worked OK.
But now I have V1.6 CURRENT and V1.7 NEW and v1.8 NEW.
OK so I thought - just delete one, but got a dire warning message about deleted Business Spaces being irrecoverable.
What shall I do?

Thanks for your help
Colin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AwareIM 9.0 (Build3275) Windows Virtual Server Derby
joben

Re: Too many versions

Post by joben »

Hey Colin

Hard to tell what happened when you tried creating a new version and it failed, so always make sure you have a good backup routine that works in case something unexpected happens. But normally however, what I write below should be perfectly safe to do:
OK so I thought - just delete one, but got a dire warning message about deleted Business Spaces being irrecoverable.
This sounds like the regular warning message you always get when removing an old version.
Have you made any changes at all in any of these versions? If not, it is safe to remove both of them without losing any job/data.
Why remove them, one might ask? If I got the error message when trying to create a New version I would not rely on that version at all. I would rather create a new minor that doesn't throw an error.
When they are both removed, just right click the last published version (black text: CURRENT) and click "New Minor Version".
When you put it in testing mode, all of your test data will remain because it is stored in the test database (if the correct radio button is ticked, "Use existing data").
Regards, Joakim

ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Thank you so much for your reassurances. I will do as you say.
Colin
Colin
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Ouch!

I deleted 1.7 and 1.8 and tried to create a new minor version. I got the error again as shown in the attached document (same as before).
I stopped and restarted the system. V1.7 was shown. I ran an integrity check and it found no errors.
All my stress has returned.

Colin
Attachments
AwareIM-ERROR.JPG
AwareIM-ERROR.JPG (158.22 KiB) Viewed 15954 times
Colin
hpl123

Post by hpl123 »

I second what Joben said, this is usually how to manage the versions etc. and deleting NEW business space versions shouldn´t cause any issues in the CURRENT version etc. so this is most likely something else or something related to the 1.7 version and more specifically something related to the database. Sometimes (very very rare just so you know) when Aware is doing changes, publishing changes etc., if the changes are not successfully applied to the database, sometimes we get similar errors in subsequent versions and that can be tricky to solve. The error message you get seems related to a document template (font files) though and could be as simple as Aware not being able to find a document or font files it has used in previous versions.

I don´t know how to solve this unfortunately but someone else might or if not, contact Vlad and he can fix it with a support ticket. One thing you probably can do to fix it (if you have BSV and DB backups) is to delete the entire business space and then recreate it and import the database backup. Just a warning, don´t do this if you don´t know what you are doing or are unsure if you have your data backed up as these changes are irreversible.
Henrik (V8 Developer Ed. - Windows)
ColinP

Unable to open document templates in Config Tool

Post by ColinP »

I am posting this in case it helps anyone ion the future.
I put 1.7 under test and went through the system producing all the reports. I found one of five invoice reports errored (I didn't check the rest)
When I tried to open the templates in the configurator, three of my five invoice reports wouldn't load. All of the invoice reports use the Tahoma Font - mentioned by name in one of the errors.
I went back to V1.5 and was able to open them all. So I copied the three faulty ones from 1.5 to 1.7 -(no changes to these between versions!) they would now all open and under test the invoice was produced.
I published 1.7 (there were no other changes)
and (with my heart racing) created a new minor version 1.8.
It worked fine without error.

I have a word document which outlines all the steps and all the error messages. Not sure how to convert this to JPG!!! But if anyone would like it they could ask me for it.

Thank you to all those who assisted me. I am very grateful.

Colin
Colin
joben

Post by joben »

Glad you managed to solve it!
Regards, Joakim

BLOMASKY

Post by BLOMASKY »

I would suggest that you export your current version whenever changes are made. Then it is easy to "import" if one of your changes breaks something.
I have exports from almost every day that I work on a BSV. I name them with the MMDD at the end of the bsv name, to make it easy to find the right day to restore.

Bruce
jannes

Post by jannes »

I'm also exporting BSV's as often as needed.
These BSV's are backupped every night.
So you can delete an entire domain if needed and restore it without problems.
Attachments
Naamloos.jpg
Naamloos.jpg (123.82 KiB) Viewed 14795 times