Session Timeout Scenario

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
RentProperty

Session Timeout Scenario

Post by RentProperty »

Hi Guys,

We have been having some issues/complaints from users that when they are busy typing a very long email for instance and click send the system time's out and they lose everything they typed. Our tomcat session timeout is set to 30 minutes and I don't want to really increase that as it will take up more memory from inactive sessions then.

I Know there are other ways to address this issue, such as using a create instead of enter new and then saving the email as a draft every other minute... However Reworking all my enter new's now will be alot of work.

Ideally I want a jQuery solution that if it's possible. For instance to add a JQuery script to the advanced scripts of the ENTER NEW form so that when that form is open the Script will post to the server every ten minutes to keep the session active. Would this be possible and has anyone ever done something similar or how would you address this issue.

Any input will be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Hein
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)
rocketman

Re: Session Timeout Scenario

Post by rocketman »

Never tried this - but thought about it often as I need to reduce my Tomcat timeout because users never log out - they just close the browser. So you can be my guinea pig.

Hows about putting a small meaningless query underneath the form at the bottom of the VP set to auto-update every x minutes. It could be as simple as a list of previously composed emails. My theory is that it would keep the session alive
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
RentProperty

Re: Session Timeout Scenario

Post by RentProperty »

Hi... We actually did think of that but we have another query on the VP that does auto refresh and that is not keeping the session alive so we wondered if the session is only kept alive by POST requests to the server?

Support... Would appreciate if you can confirm if the approach mentioned by Rocketman could work to keep a session alive as long as that Enter New form is open?
Hein Hanekom & Werner Hanekom
Sinov8.net
AwareIM Version 5.9 | 6.0 | 7.0 | 7.1 (Windows EC2 R2012 & MySQL)