Background process with IN BATCHES OF 1

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
tford

Background process with IN BATCHES OF 1

Post by tford »

I have a process with FIND ... IN BATCHES OF 1, then it calls another process.

I would like to force it to process in background because it's always a long process. However if I put in a very small number in "if process takes longer than ___ seconds, run process in the background" it still does not run in background.

Any ideas?
Tom - V8.8 build 3137 - MySql / PostGres
rocketman

Re: Background process with IN BATCHES OF 1

Post by rocketman »

Never worked for me in 9 years Tom. It seems that when the second process is called, AIM thinks the first process is finished so resets the internal timer. When it is returned to the timer starts over.

Have you tried putting a timer on the second process as well?

Ideally, we could do with an explicit "IN BACKGROUND" switch and possibly with a PRIORITY low/medium/high switch . I can think of a couple of my more complex processes with multiple calls to two and more processes which I'd love to have chunner away in the background leaving the user to get on with other things.
Rocketman

V8.7 Developer Edition. Server 2016 Standard edition. MySql 5.5
UnionSystems

Post by UnionSystems »

We're emulating a background processing queue by having an object BackgroundRun that has attributes
ExecString and Started.

We have a process, periodically called by the AwareIM Scheduler which FINDS BackgroundRun withBackgroundRun.Started UNDEFINED. When found we "EXEC_STRING BackgroundRun.ExecString and assigned a value to BackgroundRun.Started.

This enables us to control how many BackgroundRun processes are called at once and reduces server load spikes.

Would still be great if an AwareIM Process could be assigned a processing 'priority' as per rocketman's request. In particular what we need is LOW Priority.
AWS Linux, Windows Server, AIM 8.4 & 8.6
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Would still be great if an AwareIM Process could be assigned a processing 'priority' as per rocketman's request. In particular what we need is LOW Priority.
+1000