►FYI◄ A great free introduction to Progressive Web Apps.

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
BenHayat

►FYI◄ A great free introduction to Progressive Web Apps.

Post by BenHayat »

Guys, here are 11 free introduction videos on this important topic "Progressive Web Apps". Since we all build Web Apps, we should become familiar with this new technology.

Personally, I'm buying this course for $10, but you can watch the introduction for free.
It's a great addition & complementary to Aware development.

https://www.udemy.com/progressive-web-a ... curriculum
weblike

Re: ►FYI◄ A great free introduction to Progressive Web Apps.

Post by weblike »

Thank you for sharing this Ben.

This is very useful and encouraging. Aware native applications are on the right path.
Thx,
George
DB: MySql 5.6.42
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

weblike wrote:Thank you for sharing this Ben.

This is very useful and encouraging. Aware native applications are on the right path.
I've been doing lots of investigations and my findings are:
Aware is an absolute time saver to build a full blown application for desktop. If you try to build a full multi tenant app using traditional products, it will take you a L O N G time just to build the structure before building the app.
The Aware mobile is good for basic business application, However to really build apps that targets the power of a mobile device, you need to step up and build the Mobile yourself.

This gets very tricky.
Build true native apps? Takes too much time, but fully operational off line.
Build hybrid, you highly depend on constant connection which may not be possible.
But how about building an app that it always keep itself updated, uses device background processing for synch up and notification, uses caching, works offline and be able to load up your hierarchical data (i.e. Orders and their items) into device's IndexDB and be able to work with it.
Best of both worlds with PWA.

Build your mobile on the top of your Aware app and share data with aware and the best part, no load on Aware server. Let the mobile CPU/memory do most of the work for you
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Thanks Ben for sharing, I signed up... now to find the time :|
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Build hybrid, you highly depend on constant connection which may not be possible.
Have you considered building a Mobile perspective using offline functionality - one would have to get creative though, but it could work for a basic mobile app.. like listing order line items separately because references don't work in offline mode
BenHayat

Post by BenHayat »

ACDC wrote:
Have you considered building a Mobile perspective using offline functionality - one would have to get creative though, but it could work for a basic mobile app.. like listing order line items separately because references don't work in offline mode
Remember, the Mobile version I'm talking about, is not built using Aware. This will be a custom mobile using different technology (PWA) that taps into some powerful features of JS engines for caching, device DB, background workers, device sensors and etc. that none are used in the simple vanilla mobile apps.
These apps get their data from RESTful services, so being creative to loadup data into device before going offline is important.
My first attempt to build one without any third party library, but for production, I will most likely use Ionic 3 that has a lot of the work built in.
On Mobile smart caching is the most important thing you can do, for performance. And you can store lots of DB data into the mobile builtin DB and use them as cache data.
Arnold

Post by Arnold »

I know it has been a year and a half but I am curious!

Is PWA possible with Aware IM now or possibly in the near future? Or how can we extend Aware IM to do PWA?

@Ben - were you successful at building your PWA app?
Arnold

Post by Arnold »

Vladimir - what is your opinion of Progressive Web Applications - could this be the future of mobile for Aware IM? Thanks Arnold
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Is PWA possible with Aware IM now or possibly in the near future? Or how can we extend Aware IM to do PWA?
If i am not mistaken , when you publish your awareim mobile app through PhoneGap , it can be defined as a progressive web app. Unless there is some unique characteristic that PWA refers to that I am not aware of.Someone has coined the phrase PWA and it now becomes a buzzword and something special, the AIM Phonegap interface has been available for couple of years now :?
johntalbott

Post by johntalbott »

ACDC wrote:
If i am not mistaken , when you publish your awareim mobile app through PhoneGap , it can be defined as a progressive web app.
You are mistaken. :P
VocalDay Solutions - Agility - Predictability - Quality

We specialize in enabling business through the innovative use of technology.

AwareIM app with beautiful UI/UX - https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/crfUrrVeB3t
mrbdrm

Post by mrbdrm »

PWA are nothing but a web app with manifest file.
to use any other functionality you need to do it your self with JS
and it still doesn't matter until IOS support it properly anyway
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

PWA are still in its infancy - it's just an attempt to build some much needed structure between the browser and Javascript. It is not specific to mobile apps. We will be keeping an eye on it...
Aware IM Support Team