Inline Edits / Query Refresh

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

Inline Edits / Query Refresh

Post by PointsWell »

I have a complex pseudo document being created by multiple cascading When Expanded Run Queries

e.g.

Header Query
- Sub query
-Sub sub query

On that third level query I have a business rule that calculates pricing steps and always ensures that there is a step that is open (i.e. Step From = 100 , Step To = [UNDEFINED]). I am updating the record via inline editing and a popup form, not the BO form.

I have set the initial query results for that 3rd level query to refresh when a new instance of the BO is created but that doesn't seem to work when the query is embedded in other queries.

I have tried creating this extra record as both a business rule and a process and I have set the top level query to refresh on the creation of a new record and also on the running of the process but without success, but the query will only refresh if the edit is done via the BO form and not the popup inline edit (though it does work with the inline edit and no popup)
PointsWell

Re: Inline Edits / Query Refresh

Post by PointsWell »

I have edited the subject of this post to more accurately reflect the issue.

Please see attached BSV which demonstrates some unexpected behaviour with inline editing and problems with triggering query refreshes on the back of inline edits.

The attached app has the instructions on the home page. Use the Reset/Start button in the header to generate a sample record. Then follow the three steps with the three queries.

To summarise:
  1. inline edits with a popup editor do not have the effect of triggering the query refresh when a business rule creates entities that are returned by the query
  • inline edits on a query that only returns one line of data cannot be made to commit as there is no way to move focus and trigger the update.
Attachments
QueryEditRefresh.bsv.zip
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
pureist

Post by pureist »

in relation to your second issue, ideally the commit should happen when the field loses focus. but it doesn't. therefore you need to add a 'Save Inline Edits' panel operations button.

re. the first issue, try making a process instead of a rule create new instances, and set the query auto refresh to occur when the process runs. the rule can call the process.

summarized issues:
inline edits with a popup editor do not have the effect of triggering the query refresh when a business rule creates entities that are returned by the query
inline edits on a query that only returns one line of data cannot be made to commit as there is no way to move focus and trigger the update.
PointsWell

Post by PointsWell »

pureist wrote:.

re. the first issue, try making a process instead of a rule create new instances, and set the query auto refresh to occur when the process runs. the rule can call the process.
Except it doesn't the simple example I posted doesn't use a process but the application I am working on uses a process and the query update doesn't happen.

[EDIT] - Attached BSV does exactly the same thing as the previous one except it now uses a process to trigger the CREATE. Query still does not update.
Attachments
QueryEditRefresh.bsv.zip
(35.97 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
Last edited by PointsWell on Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
pureist

Post by pureist »

I don't have Aware installed, so can't look at it closer.

One thing I remebmber (which may apply) is that a subprocess (of a process) will not trigger an auto refresh even if it is the process creating the instance and even if it is the process set to auto refresh the query.

The parent/originating process in a process hierarchy always has to be set to be the process which triggers auto refresh of a query.

Unfortunately this can result in a lot of unnecessary refreshes.