some language issues

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
Hubertus

some language issues

Post by Hubertus »

Hello,

When entering data containing special characters like öäüß (german umlauts) they show up as '????'.
The same happens with Labels. Everything is ok in configuration mode. But in operating mode they show up as '????'
The data in the mysql db seems to be encoded correctly.

Do you have any idea on where to look ?

And could you please tell me which files contain language specific strings for operation mode ?
I don't know if you have any need for a german translation - but I do ;-)

Thanks a lot from one of you next customers,
Hubertus
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Hi Hubertus,

>>Everything is ok in configuration mode. But in operating mode they >>show up as '????'

This looks like a bug. We'll be investigating it and we'll post a message on the forum when the patch with the fix is available.

>>And could you please tell me which files contain language specific ?>>strings for operation mode ?

Well, Aware IM is so far an English language only product - we do plan proper multi-language support in the next version. Therefore some of the strings are still hardcoded and you cannot change them. Some other strings, though, are in a file that you can change (though we do not endorse such changes officially). The file is inside awareim.jar and it is called Application.properties. If you want to change the strings in this file - make sure that you put it back into the jar with the same path as it has originally.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

>>When entering data containing special characters like öäüß (german >>umlauts) they show up as '????'. The same happens with Labels. ?>>Everything is ok in configuration mode. But in operating mode they >>show up as '????'

We have done further investigation on this and everything seems to work fine on our systems. Can you give us more details on how to reproduce this problem? Detailed steps describing what you do to get this to happen would be useful.
Aware IM Support Team
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

Hi,

I' running
AmwareIM build no 730 on a Ubuntu Linux 5.10 Workstation
and
MySQL 4.1.11-Debian_4sarge2-log on a Debian server.

I've created a business object "companies".
Now if I enter my address which is "Schwöbing 12" it's displayed as "Schw?bing 12".
The result is the same using different browsers on different operating systems.
phpMyAdmin shows this entry correctly. The MySQL table uses UTF-8 encoding.

A label that's called "gehört zu" shows correctly in the configuration tool but in the browser it looks like "gehört zu".

But when adding a process called "löschen" to the operations drop down list it gets displayed correctly !!!

Thanks a lot for a great tool,
Hubertus
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

p.s.

in the browser the same character (ö - ascii code 148) shows up as
<> ? in a text box
<> ö when used in a label ("&Atilde;&para;" instead of "&ouml;" in HTML)
<> correctly in the operations drop down
<> correctly when read from ApplicationResources.properties (yes I've already started translating AwareIM to german ;-)[/list]
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Hi Hubertus,

could you please try this for the sake of experiment:

Aware IM automatically generates JSP forms in AwareIMRoot/Tomcat/shared/webapps/AwareIM directory
(where AwareIMRoot is the name of the root directory of Aware IM installation)

The name of the file includes the name of the business space and business object, for example:

BASTestDomainTestHarness_tm_Person_13_Main_Default_Administrator.jsp is the form for business object Person in business space TestHarness (testing mode).

Can you open any such file that has invalid characters with a text editor and include the following line right at the top of the file:

<%@page pageEncoding="UTF-8"%>

Let me know if it makes any difference.
Aware IM Support Team
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

Yes ! Now it works.

You've said that you do plan proper multi-language support in the next version. Do you have a rough estimation on when this version will be available ? In case you'd be interested I'd be pleased to contribute a german translation.

Greetings from the other side of the world,
Hubertus
aware_support

Post by aware_support »

Hi Hubertus,

I understand what's happenning now - the default character set on your machine (UTF-8) is different from ours (UTF-16). As I said, for now we do not support automatic handling of character sets - as a temporary work around you can change forms manually, just like you did now. This is a bit of a pain because if you change business space version, forms are re-generated, so you will have to re-insert the changes.

We are planning to release a version with proper multi-language support around mid-year and, yes, if you could help us with German translation it would be absolutely fantastic.

Best Regards
Aware IM Support Team
baskosi

Post by baskosi »

Hi,

All my forms are created with ISO8895-1. I would prefer UTF-8 as it solves the problem Hubertus had.

Is it possible to have a setup option or a property for specifying which encoding is used for .jsp form creation?
Borut
Hubertus

Post by Hubertus »

Hi Baskosi !

It's correct that the pages are generated using ISO8895-1. But at least for me there are no more problems since version 2.0 in this area.

Hubertus

p.s. best regards to my slovenian neighbour from austria