Docs - Folders v Database

If you have questions or if you want to share your opinion about Aware IM post your message on this forum
PointsWell

Docs - Folders v Database

Post by PointsWell »

Ive seen comments about database sizing becoming a consideration when storing documents in AIM but I wondering what other risks versus benefits exist in the folder versus database.

For example I would have thought one attractive aspect of the database route would be the ability to place the database on a server with no external IP address giving a little more security to the files, though I suppose you could mount a file store with no external access.

Does anyone have any other sage advice with regards db v filestore?
4xjbh

Re: Docs - Folders v Database

Post by 4xjbh »

1 . There is nothing wrong with storing files on the filesystem.
2. There is nothing wrong with storing files in the database.

How you store files will depend on your apps purpose, security, privacy, compliance and regulations you may need to adhere. How your users are distributed across the globe will also need to be taken into consideration, replication of data takes time and I have read how sync issues have caused and undesirable user experience...

Weigh it all up, do your google search and due diligence. Whatever you choose you can always change it later if circumstances change

UPDATED:

For profile pictures of users, company logos , headers, banners etc that are used in reports I store in the DB and for photos, other images, office documents and cad files I store in the file system. I may change this later but for now I don't have a lot of files and I have not worked out S3 storage from aware.

To keep things simple I may just move it all to the DB. My app does not show a lot of photos in album format, if it did they may stay on the file system.
Regards, James

AwareIM 7.1 on AWS - Beware I'm a AwareIM noob. Anything I help you with might make the hole your in deeper.